Review by C Tsang -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
C Tsang
Currently Reading: The Blade Itsel
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-tsang.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Review by C Tsang -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by C Tsang »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission is a masterful piece of craftsmanship which captures the reality of modern living and the worries that ensue, whilst also allowing the reader to appreciate the freedom of escaping the modern world through the protagonist's yearly excursions around the world.

Eytan Uliel tells a tale of struggle and the strong bonds of friendship from the first page to the last word. It starts with the friendship of four young men who decide to breakaway from the stress of adulthood every year through the means of a week long annual trip to challenging locations around the world. This tradition begins with two and develops into four friends finding a way to cope with the pressures of jobs, securing an income, family and balancing a healthy relationship with their partners. They try and find themselves in the wilderness of New Zealand, Japan, Fiji, and Iceland amongst other adventures. These 'Man Missions', as they dub them, evolve into an opportunity for these men to gain stability and redeem themselves from the ordinary lives they live as they grow with age. Man Mission by Eytan Uliel redefines the modern definition of being a man at the same time as meeting society's ever-increasing standards.

The aspect I most liked of Man Mission by Eytan Uliel was the author's skill in constantly keeping the reader interested and guessing what would happen next whilst allowing them to relate to the prison of life. This gives them the opportunity to escape a desk job and imagine themselves sitting around a fire with the guys, enjoying a drink, free from responsibility, completely immersed within the pages. The aspect I disliked the most was the level of description of settings as sometimes I struggled to picture where the protagonists were.

I would give Man Mission by Eytan Uliel 4 out of 4 stars, the quality of writing is excellent and echoes truths of the world today.

I gave the book 4 stars as I believe it covers some very important topics about coming of age and adulthood as well as freedom and adventure. I considered giving three stars but the bond the author creates between the characters and the readers made me think otherwise of such a rating. The character develops significantly in maturity and personality throughout the novel, and I can hope I have such a fun-filled tale to tell when I have children of my own.

This book would most likely appeal to readers who are seeking an escape and looking for something filled with adventure as this book provides handfuls of both and allows the readers to explore the world.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”