Official Review: Butterfly by Kathleen Sullivan McDonald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Butterfly by Kathleen Sullivan McDonald

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Butterfly" by Kathleen Sullivan McDonald.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After years of biding her time in an unhappy and unfulfilling marriage, Bridget leaves her husband when her youngest child turns 18 and strikes out to find herself and her life’s purpose. Her lack of education and her hometown’s poor economy make it difficult for her, and she bounces from place to place until she eventually leaves her family behind in Scotland and finds herself in a beach town in Florida. She feels this is where she belongs, but her isolation from her family causes her to question herself at every turn.

One day, she gets a call that makes her drop everything and jump on the first plane back to Scotland. Her brother has had an accident and is not expected to live much longer. Thankfully, she arrives at his bedside in time to see him before he passes on. Shortly after his death, she notices a butterfly flitting down the hospital hallway. Bridget knows in her heart that the butterfly is a message from her brother. Over the course of the next months and years, Bridget discovers that even when our loved ones die, they never really leave us. If we pay attention to the signs, they might even help us follow the path to who we are meant to be.

Butterfly by Kathleen Sullivan McDonald is a short but powerful novel that is based on the author’s life. Rather than being plot-driven, the book is primarily focused on Bridget’s thoughts, feelings, and growth as a person. Through the book structure, the author carefully crafts Bridget’s persona. The book opens with the fateful day she gets the phone call from home, and then it follows her as she reunites with her family and buries her brother. Then the reader is briefly taken back in time to let the reader in on the background of her life.

The greatest strength of the book is undoubtedly the writing style. The author has used words like a painter uses brush strokes, and the result is a masterpiece. The language is lyrical, and the imagery is exquisite. Bridget’s inner thoughts are worded in such a way that the reader can match her step for step in her journey toward self-discovery. Bridget has the soul of a poet. She is able to find beauty even in sadness, and she can freely trust and find comfort in things that defy logic and understanding. I think everyone could benefit from learning to think a bit more like Bridget.

The only downside to this novel is the lack of professional editing. I noticed dozens of errors, primarily with punctuation, which were a distraction from an otherwise beautiful story. I would have loved to give this book a perfect score, but unfortunately, I must rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

If you are looking for suspense or action-packed plotlines in your novels, Butterfly is not for you. If you love getting inside a character’s mind and heart, or if you appreciate beautifully constructed language, I suggest you give this book a try. I think those coping with the loss of a loved one would especially appreciate this book.

Butterfly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I like that this is a book that focuses on the character's inner thoughts and her journey from grief to healing. Thanks for the engaging review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a lovely, poignant story. Hopefully, the punctuation errors will be corrected with another round of editing. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad it's not professionally edited because the language sounds flowery in a good way. I'm not sure this one is for me as I usually enjoy a more active story. Glad you enjoyed it, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Butterflies are some of the most beautiful creatures. And their life story is full of remarkable lessons. Bridget turned from caterpillar to butterfly after her troubles in the stifling cocoon of her marriage. We can all come out better from our cocoons. This book makes me recall the inspiring "Hope for the Flowers."
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 13:45 I like that this is a book that focuses on the character's inner thoughts and her journey from grief to healing. Thanks for the engaging review!
Thank you for stopping by!

Rachel Lea wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 17:33 This sounds like a lovely, poignant story. Hopefully, the punctuation errors will be corrected with another round of editing. Thanks for your review!
I hope so too. Thank you for commenting!

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 18:11 It's too bad it's not professionally edited because the language sounds flowery in a good way. I'm not sure this one is for me as I usually enjoy a more active story. Glad you enjoyed it, though.
I completely understand, this type of book is not for everyone. Thanks for your comment!

Miriam Molina wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 21:36 Butterflies are some of the most beautiful creatures. And their life story is full of remarkable lessons. Bridget turned from caterpillar to butterfly after her troubles in the stifling cocoon of her marriage. We can all come out better from our cocoons. This book makes me recall the inspiring "Hope for the Flowers."
Yes, that is a beautiful way to look at it. I enjoyed her journey, especially since it closely followed that of the author herself. Thank you for stopping by!
Aubrey janellah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aubrey janellah »

Butterflies is a representation of life. In this book it shows how life it could be. Enjoy rrading it. Get inspires
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Aubrey janellah wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 07:31 Butterflies is a representation of life. In this book it shows how life it could be. Enjoy rrading it. Get inspires
Thank you so much for commenting!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

i like books with well developed characters. The fact that the story is based on the author's life makes me want to read it even more.THANKS FOR SUCH A NICE REVIEW
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

Okay, this book sounds very interesting but honestly, I can't read a book with too many errors. Hopefully, they will be taken care of! I am glad you enjoyed the book though. A very thorough review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It's interesting that the author gives the butterfly a double meaning in her book - a message from her brother, and a picture of how her life changed. She went through many changes in her life. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 02:30 i like books with well developed characters. The fact that the story is based on the author's life makes me want to read it even more.THANKS FOR SUCH A NICE REVIEW
Thank you so much for your comment!

Areej Tahir wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 03:30 Okay, this book sounds very interesting but honestly, I can't read a book with too many errors. Hopefully, they will be taken care of! I am glad you enjoyed the book though. A very thorough review.
I understand completely. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

kdstrack wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 18:19 It's interesting that the author gives the butterfly a double meaning in her book - a message from her brother, and a picture of how her life changed. She went through many changes in her life. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
Very true, definitely a metamorphosis in multiple ways. Thanks for stopping by!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This doesn't seem like a book that I'd be interested in. Great review, though!
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

I think we need more stories like this one! It seems appealing to me and I'd love to get a chance to review it soon
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story is really heart-touching and realistic. Penetrating into the character's soul makes it really interesting. Sometimes, some misperceptions built by others make you feel otherwise for a good person. So, I think we should be careful. Great review. :)
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”