Official Review: The Near One by Hanadi.A.Lüthi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
2019 Reading Goal: 72
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 34
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: The Alienation of Ludovic Weiss by David Pollard

Official Review: The Near One by Hanadi.A.Lüthi

Post by Rosemary Wright » 03 Sep 2019, 05:04

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Near One" by Hanadi.A.Lüthi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Near One, by Hanadi.A.Lüthi, is a novel about a girl named Dania. Growing up in an environment where traditional family values determine one’s life journey, Dania desires to be herself. Her father is a wealthy man who has his own dreams for her. He wants her to study either medicine or engineering at university, but Dania, who is multitalented, wants to study art. Will her father, who sees art as a hobby, let her choose her own career?

Set in Egypt and Kenya, the book unveils Dania’s remarkable experiences during childhood and adulthood. In an engaging way, it tells about her life at school and work, while revealing her relationship with her family and others. It shows her struggle to live her life on her own terms, unveiling her good and bad experiences. In summary, it’s a story of self-discovery, friendship, trust, love, and beliefs. Dania grows up to be someone who never needs sympathy from others. She is disciplined and focused, always doing her best.

Written in the first-person point of view, The Near One is intriguing and captivating. It’s easy to read and straightforward. Being compelling and character-driven, the plot is simple and solid, having fascinating events in it. Actually, the book is a page-turner, filled with interesting and sometimes, witty conversations. It’s not only entertaining but also enlightening, providing useful information about some places and issues in life. From it, I have learned more about the Egyptian and Kenyan cultures. However, it comprises several grammar errors and typos, especially comma splices, verb tense mistakes, and the wrong use of capital letters; it wasn’t well edited. I advise the author to send it for a round of professional editing.

Furthermore, the characters of the story are memorable and relatable. Some of them are complex and quirky, and these traits spice up the story. Dania, the focal character, has a kind, friendly personality. Also, she is brave and resilient. Moreover, the book includes romance, but there are no graphic sex scenes, and regarding profanity, I didn’t notice any profane word.

In conclusion, I rate The Near One 3 out of 4 stars. I couldn’t rate it higher because of the frequent appearances of grammar and typographical flaws, which are quite distracting. In addition, I didn’t rate it lower because it’s light and intriguing. It has a good storyline. Readers who love reading fictional books about personal development and romance will love it.

The Near One
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by Fazzier » 05 Sep 2019, 02:20

This book sounds like an inspiring read. I admire Dania's determination to live her own life without being dictated by parental or cultural wishes. Since I do enjoy books about personal development and romance, I'm looking forward to reading this. Thank you for this concise and informative review!

Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 85
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 » 05 Sep 2019, 08:38

I would love to read it because the setting is in my country. Nice review.

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Spellbound by Julia Goldhirsh

Post by esp1975 » 06 Sep 2019, 13:53

I love books that will teach me more about cultures I am not familiar with. And ones that are character driven and page turners are even better. I will have to keep an eye out for this book.

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Post by Miller56 » 06 Sep 2019, 19:33

Thanks for the review. I think this book sounds interesting and is a book I want to read. I know my own children believe that I want them to follow certain paths in life, but really I just want them to be happy in their choices. However, because this is a different culture, maybe the expectations are that children should follow the parents desires. I am definitely adding this book to my reading list.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Shelf by David K. DeRemer

Post by kdstrack » 09 Sep 2019, 16:58

This is an interesting setting with all the information about Egyptian and Kenyan cultures. I also like the father-daughter struggle that is highlighted in the book. This looks interesting, and I appreciate your thoughtful review.

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by AvidBibliophile » Today, 17:12

As someone who completed medical school and then still went on to become an artist, I can fully grasp the conflicting struggle between familial expectations, necessary education, long-term commitment, and finding your own passions in the end, no matter what they may be. Look forward to reading this tale of self-discovery! Appreciate your helpful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”