Review by Kemunto lucy -- Cooperative Lives

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kemunto lucy
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Kemunto lucy -- Cooperative Lives

Post by Kemunto lucy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cooperative Lives" by Patrick Finegan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Coopearative Lives is touching book and it shows how life can happen in ways that we never expected. Things happening contrary to what you ever imagined. Patrick Finegan, the author of this novel has woven this book into a very impressive piece. A read which you wouldn't want to miss.

Alya dies of Leukemia. This comes as a blow to her family. After all the struggles and pain they've gone through to see her alright, the Leukemia still wins. Her parents become devastated and none can console the other. They blame themselves for the death of their daughter. Hanni can no longer tolerate Wally. I guess everyone has their own way of mourning and expressing their sorrow. The pain of losing their daughter weighs them down, and they go on their separate ways. Moving on is a struggle especially for Wally. He finds it hard living without his family and constantly wonders how Hanni is holding up. He finds it even harder to move on. His journey to finding composure, peace and happiness unveils a lovely, though challenging tale. We get to meet curious and amazing characters.

The setting of this book is amazing. We get to learn in detail about New York, and the way of life of the people. The author takes us through events patiently and in an orderly manner. Character introduction is systematic and has been done skillfully. The characters are also flawed which brings a realistic atmosphere. They are related and admirable. Hanni is my personal favorite and I loved her strong will. I also loved the diversity people and their respective careers. We have politicians, casual workers and writers interacting in various ways. We also have the rich, middle class and the unknown. This storyline is just beautiful.

The conversations are vivid and easy to follow. The pacing is well distributed; fast, where it should be and slow, or rather steady, where more concentration is needed. I love how the author uses figures of speech to bring the intensity that the story needs. The author has done an amazing job in maintaining the attention of the reader, I found it hard to put the book down. There was never a dull moment.

Various themes are evident in this book like the theme of pain, suffering, friendship and secrecy. Looking into the theme of pain and suffering, the author takes us through Alya's illness in detail. It is so emotional and devastated. Her pain is just too much till her death. Her parents also suffer as they watch their child struggle with the disease. Friends come when they are really needed.

This book is well edited and written with utmost professionalism. It is action packed and has well-built tension. The events unveil gracefully and for this reason I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of fiction who want something extra. Some parts of this book sensitive and it takes a brave heart to get by. Emotional readers should take onto account this aspect and be prepared.

Cooperative Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”