Review by LesOrt -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LesOrt
Favorite Book: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesort.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Review by LesOrt -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by LesOrt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this fresh and inspiring novel by Eytan Uliel, a group of young men discover what being manly means in carrying out their duties of being a husband, father, friend, worker, and ultimately figuring out who they truly are. The common idea of manliness meaning tough at all times is explored in various ways throughout the novel. The main character felt the need for an escape from everyday life which prompted him to start an annual tradition of going on extreme wilderness adventures with his three close friends. The young men are all around the same age and experiencing some of the same joys and struggles of life. The annual adventures provide an outlet for them to express themselves and better understand the concept of being a man.

This novel, while exploring the concept of manhood and involving mostly male characters, is meant to entertain and possibly relate to all adult audiences. I often found myself relating to some of the struggles of life and the joy and love that comes with having a supportive family. This book will put you on an emotional roller coaster and you will not want to put it down. Man Mission is a fast-paced read with breathtaking imagery that transports you to the scene of each adventure and may intrigue you to start your own adventure and explore the world. From New Zealand to Ireland, each trip is different with its own dangers and experiences.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars . It is exceptionally well written and edited. Eytan Uliel’s novel, Man Mission, is fresh, exciting, and thought provoking. It is written in first person and uses colloquial diction to engage the reader. While there is some profanity, it is not overwhelming but simply adds to the comedic moments in the book. Elements of joy, hardship, comedy, and empowerment truly set this novel apart from others and give it vibrancy.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It was action-packed from the first page to the last. What I liked most about this novel was the structure. Uliel interjects pieces of what happened leading up to each mission during his account of the trip. Knowing the life events surrounding each trip was necessary for the development of the plot. These asides may have been confusing at first but they greatly added to understanding the purpose of each trip.

This work of literature was exceptional as a whole. However, there were a few minor aspects that I disliked. There were a few erotic scenes in the novel that I felt were unnecessary and did not hold my interest. What I disliked most was the limited information about the adventures themselves. Often, the author was very detailed with the plot but left out details about the trips as they were happening. These were only minor flaws and did not affect my overall rating of this book. It is a wonderful novel that I strongly recommend.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”