Review by Tamilore Sonaike -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tamilore Sonaike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamilore-sonaike.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by Tamilore Sonaike -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Tamilore Sonaike »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

THE REEL SISTERS BY MICHELLE CUMMINGS

"Rule #1 of fly fishing: always go pee before you put your waders on. Period. That's it. End of story". If you know anything about fly fishing, you would know that the above advice so generously given by our dear Sophie is actually important. Very important. The reel sisters by Michelle Cummings is the story of five women bound together by their love of fly fishing. Although fly fishing was not the initial interest with some of them, they eventually grew to love it. For the newbies who don't know anything about fishing, I can categorically tell you that there is a difference between the normal fishing and fly fishing.

This group of incredible women include Sophie, Veronica, Rose, Amanda, and Melody. These women all have their unique traits but they genuinely love each other and enjoy each other's company. Of course, they all love fly fishing. Sophie is the one who always takes care of other people while neglecting herself. Veronica is the city girl. She was skeptical about fly fishing at first and undertook it to get away from her city life but she later fell for it. Rose is the classic mother hen. She is the oldest of them all and is always there for them. Amanda, the ever smiling and happy Amanda, is such a beautiful soul in and out. Melody who was introduced to them by a "remarkable accident" is the youngest of the group and quite different from them but she fit in with them because they didn't judge her. Instead, they quietly accepted her into their circle.

I genuinely loved reading this book. I loved seeing such a beautiful, genuine, and pure love amongst friends. It is refreshing. Who knew that fly fishing has a modified version of the Lord's prayer? It is so funny. I admire the strength of these women when in the face of tragedy, they stayed strong, felt the pain and kept loving. As Rose said, "Friendship is a great gift, one that should never be taken for granted". I took these words to heart and actually applied them to my personal life. One surprising tidbit about these women is that their fishing is purely for leisure. They don't consume any of the fishes they catch. Instead, they release them back into the water.

The only problem I had with the reel sisters by Michelle Cummings is that some of the sentences and words were bolded and of a larger font than others. It was a bit jarring to be reading and have the font keep changing. I hope this problem is restricted to the copy I received.This was seen all over the book. Overall, it is quite a good book. I cried in some parts and laughed in others. I loved the way the author brought these characters to life. Even though it is fiction, the characters were real and depicted the every day life.

I would rate this book as a three out of four stars. I would have loved to give this book a four of four star rating but I cannot do that because of the problem earlier. All in all, it is a well scripted and well edited book as I didn't notice any typographical errors. I would recommend this book to everybody. Even if you don't know about fly fishing.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”