Official Review: Sound of Redemption

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 210
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: The Cat Man by Nick Bruechle

Official Review: Sound of Redemption

Post by joshfee77 » 24 Aug 2019, 02:59

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sound of Redemption" by William John Rostron.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you're a music lover of a certain vintage, like me, you can probably remember plenty of those old one-hit wonders. "Black Betty" by Ram Jam. "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry. "My Sharona" by The Knack. Having loved the novel Band in the Wind by William John Rostron, I couldn't help but wonder if the second book in the series, Sound of Redemption, would live up to its prequel. In 1967, Those Born Free, a band made up of five talented young men from Cambria Heights, New York, played their first paying gig at a club. A short time later, four of the five were dead, and the fifth, Johnny Cippitelli, ran away from everything and went into hiding in the Florida Keys. Now, decades later, a priest rescues him on the brink of suicide. Learning of another link in the chain leading back to his old life, Johnny realises he must show his journal to Harriet Tubman and her son, Van, whose lives might be in danger at the hands of the same madman responsible for the deaths of his friends from Those Born Free...

With its compelling hook, I thought Band in the Wind might indeed be a one-hit wonder. Imagine my surprise when the sequel, Sound of Redemption, also hit all the right notes, ringing true to the feel of the original. When I learned from the author's notes that Rostron's original manuscript had been a single book of around 900 pages, I felt his decision to cut his Band in the Wind epic into two separate parts was wise. As good as it was, it would have seemed long-winded as just one book. In Sound of Redemption, Rostron set the scene with a neat recap of the first book, which quickly flooded back to me despite the other books I had read in the interim.

As in the first book, Rostron's quirky sense of humour, reflected in the playful dialogue between characters, lightened the mood of this otherwise serious, tense, heart-wrenching story. His writing remained addictive and strongly edited in this sequel, with great emotional engagement for the reader, a definite hallmark of the first book. The characters of Johnny, Riet, Van, and others grew still further, with interesting little plot twists and unexpected connections between characters adding to the tension and drama.

The ongoing involvement of Johnny's "Music Doctor," featuring song titles and lyrics which fit with the plot, was fantastic. I found many of the well-known songs nostalgic, as they had also played parts in my childhood. I'm sure they would bring back similar feelings and memories in any reader. As Johnny's journal entries drew to an end, the song he eventually chose as his "sound of redemption" was poignant and moving, a haunting and beautiful song in its own right. The author's notes at the end were interesting, including a list of all the songs featured by the Music Doctor throughout the two books. Rostron featured plenty of great music, evoking real nostalgia for those who lived through those times or a little later, as I did.

Sound of Redemption seemed a far shorter book than the original Band in the Wind, but as Rostron explained in his notes, he decided to cut the story at a logical, suspenseful point, which made sense to me. The only negatives I could find with this book were minor. The paragraphs were only indented by the width of one character, which made it a little difficult to distinguish the start of a new one at times. Also, the book had a few minor errors, mostly missing punctuation or an extra word not removed during editing. These did not detract from my reading enjoyment, however, so I rate Sound of Redemption 4 out of 4 stars. It is a tense, moving, character-driven story exploring one man's mission to atone for the wrongs of his past, plus his relationships with people and the influence of the music that shaped his life. This book would appeal equally to music lovers and those who grew up in the 1960s, especially in New York. It does contain some profanity, but it is appropriate to the characters and situations portrayed.

Sound of Redemption
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One by Dom Brandt

Post by kandscreeley » 25 Aug 2019, 12:06

Fabulous review! It sounds like a great book if you're a music lover. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it lived up to your experience with the first book. I don't think I would enjoy it, though. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 » 25 Aug 2019, 15:16

This is a great review! This type of story isn't my thing, so I think I will pass for now. Well done!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

reneelu1998
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 130
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by reneelu1998 » 25 Aug 2019, 15:47

I'm glad you enjoyed the book enough to give it 4 out of 4 stars. Thanks for the well-written review!

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by Helene_2008 » 26 Aug 2019, 07:26

I always enjoy unexpected connections between characters! I like that you include a lot of information about the first book of the series in your review. Makes for a nice complete review.

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Life's Harsh Reality by Patrick L Washington

Post by esp1975 » 26 Aug 2019, 15:54

It is wonderful when the sequel holds up to the original book. I love that there are author's notes at the end that talk about both books, and that the author chose to end the second book at a point that still held some mystery.
Really nice review.

Ddennis88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddennis88.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ddennis88 » 27 Aug 2019, 05:53

Amazing review! You had me hooked in the very first paragraph! As a music lover, I will be needing to read both of these!! Thank you!

iametiisaac
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by iametiisaac » 28 Aug 2019, 05:45

I would love to read this book, probably because I'm a music lover. Well done bro for this effort.

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 30 Aug 2019, 00:18

kandscreeley wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 12:06
Fabulous review! It sounds like a great book if you're a music lover. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it lived up to your experience with the first book. I don't think I would enjoy it, though. Thanks.
Thanks! As a real music lover, I found plenty to enjoy in both books. A really well written, compelling, character-driven story.

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 30 Aug 2019, 00:20

Meg98 wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 15:16
This is a great review! This type of story isn't my thing, so I think I will pass for now. Well done!
Thanks! A really enjoyable story for fans of great music. Loved it.

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 30 Aug 2019, 00:21

reneelu1998 wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 15:47
I'm glad you enjoyed the book enough to give it 4 out of 4 stars. Thanks for the well-written review!
Thanks! Not too many books get 4 stars from me but I really enjoyed these two.

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 30 Aug 2019, 00:23

Helene_2008 wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 07:26
I always enjoy unexpected connections between characters! I like that you include a lot of information about the first book of the series in your review. Makes for a nice complete review.
Yeah, I really liked the unexpected connections which occurred in the second book. It spiced up the plot plenty for me.

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 30 Aug 2019, 00:24

esp1975 wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 15:54
It is wonderful when the sequel holds up to the original book. I love that there are author's notes at the end that talk about both books, and that the author chose to end the second book at a point that still held some mystery.
Really nice review.
Thanks! I did enjoy the author's notes as they gave some great background on how the story evolved.

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 30 Aug 2019, 00:26

Ddennis88 wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 05:53
Amazing review! You had me hooked in the very first paragraph! As a music lover, I will be needing to read both of these!! Thank you!
Thanks! If you love music as much as I do, especially the old classics from the 60s and 70s, you'll love these books. Enjoy!

joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 » 30 Aug 2019, 00:27

iametiisaac wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 05:45
I would love to read this book, probably because I'm a music lover. Well done bro for this effort.
Thanks! If you love music, I think you'll love these books as much as I did.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”