Review by DrShimmy -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DrShimmy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drshimmy.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by DrShimmy -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by DrShimmy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel was a gripping read. Half travel memoir, half a coming of age story. All entertaining.

The journey follows the author and three of his friends, Sam, Alec and Daniel. At university Sam and the author came up with the idea of the Man Mission. An annual holiday somewhere exotic doing "manly" outdoor pursuits such as kayaking, hiking and lots of cycling.

The book follows 15 Man Missions to places all over the world including Machu Picchu, Iceland, Spain, Australia (their home country), New Zealand, Hawaii, and Thailand.

Each chapter describes their journey, discoveries and injuries through these exotic locations, but we also follow the four friends through their life journey. Through their marriages, fatherhood, divorce and breakdowns. We grow up with them.

It is a story of travel, friendship and life. It was wonderful to read a book like this from a male perspective. It was very matter of fact, down to earth and often hilarious, at other times heartwarming and at the end of the book I felt closer to all the characters and wish them well in whatever they are doing now.

If I wanted to find something negative, and there really isn't anything, I would say a few pictures of the four friends would have been gratefully received. However, the author painted such a vivid picture they would simply enhance but are not a requirement.

I have no qualms at all with rating this book 4 out of 4. I thoroughly recommend it to all.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”