Official Review: Archetypes, Topology and Retrocausality

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: The Truth Too
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: Fate's Palette by Marcy Von Kohorn

Official Review: Archetypes, Topology and Retrocausality

Post by Renu G » 22 Aug 2019, 08:32

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Archetypes, Topology and Retrocausality" by Alma ludivina Aguado MD and Marjorie Dawson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mandala graphics on the cover page captured my attention. The title of the book implied a discussion on Jung’s psychological theory. Its description suggested the use of Thleudron art to show how archetypes travel through space and time and that all particles in the universe are interdependent. Hence, I selected the book, without any hesitation, to know more about the topics. The preface introduces Thleudron art and its connection with archetypal images, mereological algebra of colors, etc. It is followed by an explanation of various archetypes that are further illustrated through mandala designs. My favorite illustration was the “child” archetype.

The authors of Archetypes, Topology and Retrocausality have introduced unique concepts that I found intriguing. I enjoyed reading about retrocausality. Alma Aguado is a physician, and Marjorie Dawson is qualified in counseling. As a counselor and theologian, I can easily resonate with them. Nevertheless, I am not satisfied with the information provided in this book. The blurb (on the website of Amazon) consists of a quotation by Jung stating that neurosis may disappear when people overcome their narrow spiritual horizons. However, this is not explicitly mentioned anywhere in the book. Moreover, I did not like the interpretation of biblical texts. The exegesis does not follow the correct methodology.

I am sorely disappointed. The contents could have been organized in a more effective way, including more references than those mentioned in the bibliography. Links to “Wikipedia “ that are generally not accepted by professionals and experts should have been avoided. The writers possibly wanted to make it easier for the average reader to access information through the internet, but this could also create an unfavorable impression about their expertise on the subject.

There seems to be a disconnection between the authors’ thoughts, intentions, and how they articulate them. In my opinion, they seem to take it for granted that every reader has the necessary expertise in various disciplines to comprehend the contents. I think the inclusion of a glossary of key terms may help those who have never heard about mandalas, Jung’s archetypes, etc. If the book is intended only for experts, then it should be explicitly stated in the description.

Overall, I found the theme interesting but not helpful. Archetypes, Topology and Retrocausality did not meet my expectations. The graphics have not been explained very clearly, e.g., I wonder whether the facial outlines in the mandalas were drawn deliberately or they emerged automatically because of digital techniques. Although there are only 56 pages (including illustrations), the textual formatting is shabby and impacts the quality of the read. The book seems to be an unfinished task and a rough draft. Hence, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a lower rating because of its attractive artwork. It may appeal to artists, psychologists, and researchers. I would prefer to read Jung’s theory in his own words.

Archetypes, Topology and Retrocausality
View: on Bookshelves

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Beneath the Muscle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Rachel Lea » 28 Aug 2019, 15:43

I'm also extremely skeptical that the authors reference Wikipedia as a source. For the other reasons that you mentioned in your review as well, I will be passing on this book. Thanks for your honest review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Meg98 » 30 Aug 2019, 00:02

I like the uniqueness of this book, but I still will pass for now. Too many negative elements! Thanks for your honest and great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 » 31 Aug 2019, 09:48

I liked the idea behind the book, but it seems that it still needs a bit of work before I can consider reading it. Thank you for your review!

Laila_Hashem
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 122
Currently Reading: Marbles
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laila_Hashem » 03 Sep 2019, 15:18

I completely agree. Confusion and inconsistency in a book are extremely off-putting. It would personally cause me to never open that book again. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”