Review by B Creech -- Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review by B Creech -- Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cooperative Lives" by Patrick Finegan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan follows the lives of the residents of a prestigious apartment building in New York City. The mortgages are high, and often a struggle to pay, but the apartment owners are willing to do what is necessary to maintain their lifestyles in the coveted high rise.

The relationship between George and Hanni Wallace, and their daughter Ayla, and Jack and Sandy Roberts and their daughter Melissa becomes a significant part of the story. The couple's friendship evolves through supporting each other in difficult times. Hanni (whose real name is Hanji) is the most connected with all the others. The residents face multiple challenges to include discontent and job loses, divorce, injuries, sickness, death, embezzlement, accusations - including espionage, inappropriate relationships, and much more. Are they able to survive it all? Are secrets revealed? Who loses their life? How does it all end for the residents living in the prestigious high rise?

The author did an excellent job of creating each character, so the reader feels like he/she knows them personally. Other vital figures to the story are Sheldon, a widower, and somewhat of a recluse who lives in a smaller apartment in the building. He gets pulled into the lives of the others by doing a good deed. Then there is Mildred, a feisty 80-year-old author of romance novels who plays a significant role in the shocking ending of the story. Finegan has a unique writing style. He has a way of weaving back and forth between the characters and their individual lives and dramas, then bringing it all together in the end.

The part I liked most was when several of the characters were accused of espionage and interrogated, evoking subtle humor. For instance, Sheldon, while hospitalized with pneumonia and confused at his surroundings, was questioned about Jack. Jack meanwhile, is being interviewed by a female detective he met on an airplane and attempted to date. She remembered him, but he did not recognize her, which made her very angry. Now she was his interrogator. What I disliked most was the profanity; also, I felt like there was too much switching back and forth of the characters at crucial times in the story. For example, as Alya is in the hospital for cancer treatment and at death's door, there is a switch to another character in the next few chapters leaving the reader in limbo about Alya's outcome.

The book is well-edited, and I found only a few minor errors which did not detract from the story. I found Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan to be an intense, yet sometimes complicated read. I also found the level of profanity used offensive. However, due to the complex and intriguing storyline that kept me guessing, and the minimal number of errors, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would deduct half a point if I could for the strong profanity; however, I did not feel justified in inferring a whole point.

I would recommend this book to anyone 18 or older who enjoys an intriguing story that keeps them guessing to the end. I would not recommend this book to anyone under the age of 18 due to strong language and a couple of intimate scenes, not graphically described but with distinct, underlying innuendos. Anyone who is offended easily by profanity and sexual innuendos probably would not enjoy this book.

Cooperative Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

Sounds like a book I would love to read. Great review.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Living in high rise buildings comes with a lot. I liked that the book x-rayed the lives of these apartment owners. Sounds really intriguing and humorous. I enjoyed your review.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sam_Ibeh wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 02:47 Living in high rise buildings comes with a lot. I liked that the book x-rayed the lives of these apartment owners. Sounds really intriguing and humorous. I enjoyed your review.
Thank you! And thanks for stopping by and commenting.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Wanjugush wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 13:15 Sounds like a book I would love to read. Great review.
Thank you, and thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

This book seemed to me to be a slice of life. I managed a high rise at one time. Very seldom did the information and gossip circulating about the residents come to any focused resolution. Rather it was a welter of segments that only made sense after enough time had past. Finigan presents the buildings residents like that. I found his method to be very realistic. And I marveled at the realism of Alya's chemotherapy. Good review. I gave it a 4 also.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

djr6090 wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 14:38 This book seemed to me to be a slice of life. I managed a high rise at one time. Very seldom did the information and gossip circulating about the residents come to any focused resolution. Rather it was a welter of segments that only made sense after enough time had past. Finigan presents the buildings residents like that. I found his method to be very realistic. And I marveled at the realism of Alya's chemotherapy. Good review. I gave it a 4 also.
Thanks. And thank you for stopping by and commenting.
B. Creech
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I have read this book. I appreciate the writer for this impeccably crafted work. Amazing review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”