Catcher in the rye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Re: Catcher in the rye

Post by GKCfan »

I do think that this is a novel that appeals most strongly to adolescents, who often see their own alienation and anger in Holden.
southernphoenix79
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-southernphoenix79.html

Post by southernphoenix79 »

I am so relieved to know that I am not alone! I thought it was because I was a high school kid reading it that I wasn't getting it. It is on my list to try again as an adult. Hopefully I can find some awesome literary criticism that will give me an insight into it. We shall see.
sarahnichole92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahnichole92.html

Post by sarahnichole92 »

I think you should youtube "Crash Course" on the subject of Catcher in the Rye. It's one of John Green's favourite book and he gives a very entertaining viewpoint of the book.
pshropshire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pshropshire.html

Post by pshropshire »

I thought this would be of interest: There is a new documentary about J D Salinger and its revealed that he had kept writing for the last 40 years after the publication of Catcher in the Rye. The big news is that there will be five new J. D. Salinger books released and that some of them will deal with characters that he created in his his shorter fiction (Franny and Zooey), or possibly the novel. Not sure. As for me, I think Catcher is an American classic but even if Salinger didn't continue writing I felt that Kurt Vonnegut to a major degree and perhaps Brautigan to a lesser degree filled the void.
melhawk46

Post by melhawk46 »

J. D. Salinger is one of my favorite authors but Catcher in the Rye is one of my least favorite books. Franny and Zooey, on the other hand, is my choice when I need to be inspired.
mcs1040
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcs1040.html
Latest Review: "Somewhere Upriver" by Patrick Loafman

Post by mcs1040 »

Read it 3 times!
Latest Review: "Somewhere Upriver" by Patrick Loafman
Other Stories
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Savage Detectives

Post by Other Stories »

I'll need to read it again soon. I found it very touching, the last hundred pages, and after letting it stew for a while I came to like it even more. Just thinking of what I'll see from it the second time gets to me.
Treeeeeesha
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treeeeeesha.html

Post by Treeeeeesha »

it's a good book but not anyones favorite. :| :| :| :|
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Post by The Bookaholic »

I have decided to read this book after viewing this post. It is a book I thought about reading and it has been recommended to me many times:-)
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
x1f4j8k9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-x1f4j8k9.html

Post by x1f4j8k9 »

I hear such reviews about other famous books. They're best selling and highly acclaimed, yet no one gets much out of them.
4everyoung
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-4everyoung.html

Post by 4everyoung »

Catcher in the Rye was the book we had to read in school and I could not finish it. The reason being I can not stomach cursing. And this particular book had more then I could handle. I had to skim the book and only read sections of it. So I'm sure when I read it in 2000 I didn't get the meaning of the book. Would I try and read it again? No. Just because there was too much cursing for my taste
hansie

Post by hansie »

This is one of my favorite all time books. It captures the rebellious youth in a way that i believed threatened the upper society to the point of banning this book in school librarys back in the 60's and 70's It was a slap in the face of conformity in its time period.
christiecotcamp

Post by christiecotcamp »

I read this book recently and I think that there is really no right or wrong time to read it. It's one of those books that you just can't quite figure out what it means to you---can't quite put your finger on it. I read it because I wanted to know what everyone was talking about and what I was missing out on. After reading it, I felt how bizarre it was. I thought about it for days afterward, just trying to figure it out, but then I realized that although it is a classic---it was quite ahead of its time. It is a work of art that I will truly never figure out, but it is for sure one that makes you think.
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

I really like Catcher in the Rye. I read it as a teenager, but I think it's relatable to all ages. Most people I've talked to about it have strong opinions. They either love it or hate it.
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

I'm quite loath to re-read it. I liked it as a teenager but, as I've mentioned elsewhere on the site, I suspect I would find Holden Caulfield far less sympathetic than I did when I was younger.
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”