Review by heatherashley7 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
heatherashley7
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherashley7.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by heatherashley7 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by heatherashley7 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hiram McDowell is a wealthy surgeon, avid hiker, mediocre father, and an aspiring politician. He is a character that one might despise instantly but learn to love as the story is told. Hiram is a well-established surgeon that has his eyes set on multiple political positions. He is willing to do just about anything to gain these positions including using his friends and family. Eventually Hiram’s luck runs out and he faces prison for controversial crimes. Is Hiram guilty of the accused crimes? Billie, Hiram’s son, is lost as to what his future holds. When he suddenly becomes a father, Hiram makes rash decisions on his behalf. Will Billie be forced to mature and take responsibility as a father and make his own path, or will he live in his father’s shadow? Sophie, one of Hiram’s daughters, is an up and coming photographer. She accepts her father’s money and stands by him out of loyalty and love. Will Hiram’s decisions cause her to stray? Ann, Hiram’s other daughter, is a mother first and foremost. She is comfortable in her day to day loveless life but is unable to bond with her son. When her son commits an unspeakable act Ann must live with the decision. Will the act of her son tear the rest of her family apart? Paige is an aging news reporter who happens upon the story of a lifetime, the life of Hiram McDowell. How will she portray this man and his rise to power?

This novel provides multiple viewpoints, at times more than five, that all tie into an overall interesting storyline. I enjoyed reading each character’s experience but disliked the time lapse that seemed to occur. This book was extremely long and spanned multiple years, with no real ending. The ending was a big disappointment for me as I spent time growing to love the character and then to end the novel without the character’s viewpoint of what happen. I believe the author missed a grand opportunity to allow the main character to leave in style.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This novel is extremely long and confusing at times which is why I rated three stars instead of four. The ending of this novel was rushed and messy, after 70 chapters of getting to know the characters the ending was summed up in about 5 pages. For the lack of a satisfying ending I rated this as a three-star novel. Due to the interesting storyline this book does not deserve a two-star rating.

McDowell by William H. Cole is a novel for anyone who enjoys multiple viewpoints and mild suspense. Due to controversial content I would recommend this novel for adults. Anyone who may be triggered by suicide, school shootings, or family murder may want to avoid this novel.

This book does contain a few errors such as at location 1325 the word “travel” should be “traveled”. Also, at location 1585 the word “stays” should be “stayed”. William H. Cole broke this book down into two parts, but I believe he could have made it three. At the end Hiram meets some interesting characters and the reader can view their opinions and interactions with Hiram. I believe this could have been the third part to the story.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by esp1975 »

I would also be disappointed with no real ending.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”