Official Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Learning to trust yourself by Lisa Flannigan

Official Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 13 Jul 2019, 19:12

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lone Star Odyssey" by David Wilson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Talon has been a military man for much of his life. Now, he takes the odd contract job while trying to spend as much time as possible with his wife and their triplets. He's currently starting a new position outside of Washington, DC when everything "hits the fan."

The morning Talon is supposed to begin work, he wakes up to no power, no cell, and no working cars. Fearing the worst (an EMP and possible terrorist attack), he knows he must make his way back to his family in Texas before things get really bad. How will the world survive now? Will Talon make it back to his family?

I'm always up for a good survival novel, and Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson promises exactly that. There is strong language throughout as well as violence and adult themes; therefore, I wouldn't recommend this for younger children. The novel is around 250 pages and is a quick read.

Talon himself narrates the story in the first person. This creates a stream of consciousness style that keeps the plot fast-paced. I enjoyed Talon as a character. He knows what he wants from life, and he's just the type to survive in this situation. The author helps us to know him better with flashbacks, and I enjoyed this glimpse into the protagonist's past.

While there are secondary characters, we don't learn much about them. Also, there is a suspicious lack of females with the author having only one token woman joining Talon's group. Beth knows her way around a gun, but she still isn't the strong female archetype I would have wanted. Mr. Wilson missed an opportunity to provide a more well-rounded cast.

The book, though, suffers from an extreme lack of proofreading. I found the first ten errors before the epilogue ended. Run-on sentences abounded along with incorrect tenses, missing words, and homonyms. These were quite plentiful and distracting. Additionally, the formatting needed work. Everytime a new character speaks, there should be a new line, but there wasn't. Sometimes flashbacks were delineated but not always. This contributed to the confusion I felt.

Balance can be difficult to find in a fiction novel. Too few and you haven't successfully created an immersive world. Too many and you've lost your audience. Unfortunately, this author errs on the overly detailed side. Talon lists every item he considers taking with him while he's preparing. My eyes started to glaze over. Similarly, I don't need to know each type of gun, ammo, and holster the characters use. In fact, if you aren't familiar with guns or military abbreviations, you might find yourself lost.

I feel compelled to mention that the book ends on a cliffhanger. This novel merely gives you the beginning of the story. It covers the start of the end of the world and only continues a few days afterwards; it's enough to get your feet wet and have you begging for more.

All in all, I enjoyed reading Lone Star Odyssey as it was a fast-paced, action-packed story. It has potential; however, the plethora of errors, military terms, and extreme details have me rating this 2 out of 4 stars. This would be enjoyable to those who enjoy post-apocalyptic literature, especially survival and prepping (with an emphasis on EMPs). Though the book needs work, Mr. Wilson is an author to watch for in the future.

Lone Star Odyssey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: Red Rising
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 15 Jul 2019, 07:44

This sounds like it can be an engaging story, but the errors take so much away from it. I think I would give it a try, but it would take a while for me to read it due to the errors. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 15 Jul 2019, 07:53

Letora wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 07:44
This sounds like it can be an engaging story, but the errors take so much away from it. I think I would give it a try, but it would take a while for me to read it due to the errors. Great review!
There were a LOT of errors, to be sure. It has potential; I hope the author can get a really good editor to fix this up. Thanks for your comment.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by allbooked+ » 15 Jul 2019, 09:27

I think I will need to skip this - not my usual genre and the errors would bother me! Thanks for the insightful review!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 15 Jul 2019, 09:52

allbooked+ wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:27
I think I will need to skip this - not my usual genre and the errors would bother me! Thanks for the insightful review!
I completely understand. It'd be best enjoyed by doomsday preppers or those that like those type of novels. Hope you find something to enjoy.
-Louisa May Alcott

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The 36 Watchers, by Dan Bar Hava

Post by Prisallen » 15 Jul 2019, 10:46

I agree with you that too many details can slow the story down. The errors take away as well. I hope the author fixes those issues soon because it seems like a good book otherwise. Thanks for a great review!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 15 Jul 2019, 13:24

Prisallen wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 10:46
I agree with you that too many details can slow the story down. The errors take away as well. I hope the author fixes those issues soon because it seems like a good book otherwise. Thanks for a great review!
It definitely could have its place in post-apocalyptic literature with a bit of work. Thanks so much for your comment.
-Louisa May Alcott

LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 85
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Last words from above by Jeremy Brown

Post by LivreAmour217 » 15 Jul 2019, 14:47

Sounds like an interesting story, so it really is a shame about the multiple errors. Regarding the military jargon, I personally would advise the author to provide some sort of glossary, or perhaps a brief explanation when possible. Thank you for this review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 15 Jul 2019, 14:50

LivreAmour217 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:47
Sounds like an interesting story, so it really is a shame about the multiple errors. Regarding the military jargon, I personally would advise the author to provide some sort of glossary, or perhaps a brief explanation when possible. Thank you for this review!
A glossary definitely would have been helpful. Not all of it was extremely necessarily, so it's easy to gloss over or even just not understand. Thanks for your comments!
-Louisa May Alcott

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Meg98 » 15 Jul 2019, 23:15

This sounds like a very promising story, but it just missed the mark on some important elements. It is a shame! Thanks for this great review:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 16 Jul 2019, 07:38

Meg98 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 23:15
This sounds like a very promising story, but it just missed the mark on some important elements. It is a shame! Thanks for this great review:)
With a little bit of tweaking here and there, it could be really great for those that like the genre. Thanks so much!
-Louisa May Alcott

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: I Guess I Just Wasn't Thinking Part Two by W K "Jake" Wehrell

Post by Wyland » 16 Jul 2019, 21:49

I like that this macho tough guy knows how to keep and protect his family. thanks for an enjoyable review.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 17 Jul 2019, 07:26

Wyland wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 21:49
I like that this macho tough guy knows how to keep and protect his family. thanks for an enjoyable review.
He definitely knows a lot about survival. Thanks for reading my review.
-Louisa May Alcott

sarahmarlowe
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: Klytië
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: Poor Pepe by Michael Marion Sharpe
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe » 17 Jul 2019, 08:21

The book, though, suffers from an extreme lack of proofreading. I found the first ten errors before the epilogue ended. Run-on sentences abounded along with incorrect tenses, missing words, and homonyms. These were quite plentiful and distracting. Additionally, the formatting needed work. Everytime a new character speaks, there should be a new line, but there wasn't. Sometimes flashbacks were delineated but not always. This contributed to the confusion I felt.
How frustrating, especially concerning dialogue. I've read books with similar issues, and it made for a very confusing (and tiring) read. Nice review! Thanks!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 17 Jul 2019, 08:27

sarahmarlowe wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 08:21
How frustrating, especially concerning dialogue. I've read books with similar issues, and it made for a very confusing (and tiring) read. Nice review! Thanks!
There's a good story in there. It's just muddled by the proofreading and formatting errors. At least that's the easier part to fix, if you have a good editor. Thanks for commenting!
-Louisa May Alcott

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”