Review by ciecheesemeister -- Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
fav_author_id: 165843

Review by ciecheesemeister -- Cynthia and Dan

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am reviewing Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War by Dorothy May Mercer
Cynthia and Glenn Patterson are siblings involved with covert operations to protect the United States from terrorism. Their base of operations is the Fairfax Private Investigations office, which hides a highly sophisticated network of computers in a secret room. Cynthia also works as security chief for Senator Mike McBride, a helpful ally who is aware of their activities.
The book begins on an exciting note with Cynthia and Glenn discussing their next project. Following their meeting, Cynthia heads from Glenn’s office in Fairfax, Virginia to Senator McBride’s office in Washington, DC. En route to the office, she is detained in an unexpected traffic jam. Unable to proceed, Cynthia parks her car and attempts to discern what is causing the hold-up. At this point, she encounters a mysterious stranger who guides her to a nearby café. Cynthia, who had been ruminating on her tepid relationship with her police officer boyfriend Dan Macintyre, feels a strong, mutual attraction to the stranger, and they end up back at his apartment.
The book alternates between the espionage efforts of Cynthia, Glenn, and the computer surveillance experts Tim and Garth whom they hire to assist them, and Cynthia’s romantic entanglements with Dan and her new love interest, the mysterious Sky Eastman. Cynthia breaks things off with Dan, who proceeds to behave in a creepy and obsessive fashion, and Sky, whose behavior is peculiar and off-putting as well. Cynthia is evidently drawn to Sky, although she wishes to maintain a friendship with Dan.
The book is a quick read, and I really enjoyed the mystery and espionage storyline. The characters are quirky and, for the most part, likable. However, I felt that Cynthia’s initial meeting with Sky dragged on for far too long, and the sex scene between them was awkward rather than arousing. I truly feel that the author might benefit from reading the works of classic erotica writers such as Anais Nin, whose descriptions of explicit sexual interactions had an easy, natural flow.
I am giving the book three out of four stars because it is a fun read and overall, I enjoyed it very much. However, I must offer the caveat that I am not sure it was professionally edited. I did not find any spelling mistakes, but there was a great deal of incorrect comma usage which I, if acting in the capacity of a proofreader or editor, would have pointed out to the author.
Readers who enjoy adventure and spy stories with an ample amount of romance included and who are more interested in adventurous plot twists than in real-world accuracy regarding modern espionage are likely to enjoy this book.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”