Official Review: The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot's Encoun...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot's Encoun...

Post by srividyag1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot's Encounters" by Micah Genest.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot's Encounters by Micah Genest is a fairy tale for adults. It is described as a fairy tale because there are fairies, trolls, knights and some imaginary beings. The book feels like a wild ride, one taken after ingesting a hallucinogenic drug and then stumbling about in the dark for quite some time. There are twists, turns, falls and mind-bending events centred on a girl named Harlot. The name of the protagonist i.e. Harlot clearly reveals the recurring theme in the book. The author has made sure that she has an encounter of an unsavoury kind in every other chapter.

Harlot begins her adventures from a humble village. Her journey turns more warped with each chapter. The time span of the story is not clear because, over the course of the book, Harlot has a baby (which is not exactly described as a baby), has many carnal encounters and still behaves like a petulant child. In the end, I felt overwhelmed and could not keep track of all the beings she met and left during her journey. Harlot is an extraordinarily brave girl. Throughout the book, she is abused, threatened and mistreated. Yet, she never identifies as a victim. She bounces back almost immediately and moves on to further adventures. She meets different people who pop in and out of her life. She takes it in stride and continues her journey.

I genuinely liked the rhymes and illustrations in the book. The author has designed them with incredible talent and interwoven them into the story. This book has many hyphenated names for characters, like crowned-alter-fop, mog-made-of-scrapes-of-metals-and-woods and the-man-with-a-can-for-a-head. The author has also mentioned holes, boxes, pricks and sticky substances quite a lot. To be honest, I am ill-equipped to understand half of the innuendos in the book. If the author was making clever double entendre while talking about butter-maidens and alter-fops, it was completely lost on me. After a while, trying to find a hidden meaning became tedious.

Even though the book is only 150 pages long, it took me a week to read it. This was because I did not understand the purpose of these adventures. It is clear that the author has derived inspiration from the works of Lewis Carroll, and I am sure the author had a lot of fun writing it. However, I was expecting a fairy tale with different kinds of adventures and themes. Perhaps, it was my ignorance to understand the sexual references or jokes. Perhaps, it was my expectation of a different kind of storyline. I was disappointed and could not enjoy the book. Nevertheless, this boat ride without oars or any kind of steering mechanisms took me inside a warped whirlpool of confusing adventures.

The author has mentioned in the description of the book that some mistakes that might seem like typographical errors were made deliberately for the sake of comedic or poetic effect. As an example, the author has cited that the word “quean” (which means prostitute) has been used instead of “queen”, for comedic effect. This is understandable in that context. However, I felt that the book has a profusion of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, which I do not think were made deliberately. In one place, three paragraphs were repeated verbatim. Therefore, I think this book could use some editing. For the reasons provided above, I give The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot's Encounters by Micah Genest a rating of 2 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes to read fast-paced tales of pointless adventure. This book can also be read when you are drunk or on a mental high since you will not be expecting anything to make sense then. The language is engaging and humorous. This tale is not recommended for those who enjoy intricate plots and well-explained journeys. It is also not meant for children or anyone who gets offended by sexual innuendos.

The Land of Ick and Eck: Harlot's Encounters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm not sure what to think of this other than that this book sounds like an insane mess. I'm not sure if that's good or bad but I can't quite figure out if I want to read it or not. Thanks for reviewing it, though.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ikigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikigai.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Ikigai »

I guess a pointless adventure could entertain a drinking evening. I think I'll add the book to my shelf, just to satisfy my curiosity. Thank you for your honest review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like the thought of adult fairy tales. I don't, however, enjoy stumbling around in the dark or hallucinogenic experiences. Sounds like one I should skip. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
srividyag1

Post by srividyag1 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 03:40 I'm not sure what to think of this other than that this book sounds like an insane mess. I'm not sure if that's good or bad but I can't quite figure out if I want to read it or not. Thanks for reviewing it, though.
It's not about good or bad, rather it's quite interesting. Thanks for the comment!!
- Srividya Giri
srividyag1

Post by srividyag1 »

Ikigai wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 08:31 I guess a pointless adventure could entertain a drinking evening. I think I'll add the book to my shelf, just to satisfy my curiosity. Thank you for your honest review!
That's a perfect fit for this book. Also, it can be discussed in book-clubs where you can keep discussing the meaning of metaphors used here. Thanks for the comment!!
- Srividya Giri
srividyag1

Post by srividyag1 »

kandscreeley wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 08:54 I like the thought of adult fairy tales. I don't, however, enjoy stumbling around in the dark or hallucinogenic experiences. Sounds like one I should skip. Thanks for the review, though.
It's dark. But it's hallucinogenic only in the sense that most of the times, demystifying the metaphor becomes difficult. Thanks for the comment!!
- Srividya Giri
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I love twisty, turny, mind-bending books! This sounds like one right up my alley. I look forward to 'meeting' Harlot, her child, and the apparent host of characters that move in and out of her life. Great review, I enjoyed reading it!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think I agree with @Nisha Ward, this book definitely sounds like a bit of a mess, storyline wise. But I do love it when authors play with language. So I might read it just because of the way you describe the writing.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”