Official Review: Betrayal of the Judge’s Wife

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of the Judge’s Wife by Richard Murphy

Official Review: Betrayal of the Judge’s Wife

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 27 Jun 2019, 22:46

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Betrayal of the Judge’s Wife" by Richard Murphy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered if your life would have been different if you had opted to go with a different decision at some point in your life? In Betrayal of the Judge’s Wife: A Case That Escalated to Unanticipated Consequences by Richard Murphy, classified under other fiction, the main character does that very thing. You can arrive at positive or negative unexpected consequences depending on the choices that you make. That is the theme for this book.

Janet Spence Watkins Keane (Jan) is in her forties and is going to prison for 18 months. The lawyers agreed that if she pleaded guilty to an “Obstruction of Justice charge,” she could avoid prison and serve an 18-month probation sentence instead. Even though Jan pleaded guilty, the judge disagreed and ruled that she had to serve time in prison. Jan, her family, and the town of Barrie, Ohio were shocked. To show moral support and wish her good luck, Jan’s family, minus her second husband, and the town held a farewell party the evening before she was scheduled to begin her prison term. The next morning, she is ready for the Marshals and leaves with them. During the drive, she ponders the decisions she has made and wonders, if she should have pursued a different choice? Given the same circumstances, would she have, or could she have?

Even though I found the story to be methodical, something I don’t usually enjoy, putting the book down was difficult. Murphy told the story in the third-person and seems to have a gift for building character details without adding any drama or emotional depth. I could feel for the characters and empathize with them; however, I couldn’t develop any attachment to them. In telling the story, Murphy followed two timelines: the first one starting in October of 1989, and the second in the fall of 1960. He brought them together by October of 1990. This made the story fast-paced, but it was clear and easy to follow. Something Murphy did that I liked, because it added meaning and perspective for me, was his inclusion of historical facts. Late in December of 1963, Jan, who was then a senior in high school, realized she was pregnant. She told her parents and her boyfriend about her pregnancy, and they all raised the possibility of Jan having an abortion. This was before the Supreme Court ruling on Roe v. Wade. If she decided to have an abortion, it would have been illegal at that time. Every time Murphy added these historical facts, I found it helpful. It showed me how the current events of the time not only influenced the decisions the characters made but how they have impacted the current events of today. For this very reason, I would like to read Betrayal of the Judge’s Wife again.

One slight problem I had with this book was that some of the responses seemed unrealistic. As I stated above, there was no drama. Every problem was solved with what appeared to be a very limited amount of emotion and in a low-key manner. This is many times the exact opposite of what we experience today. So I’m not sure, the characters’ responses might have been realistic for that time. The other problem I had with this book was all the punctuation errors in the Kindle edition. Almost all the errors consisted of inappropriate use of commas and quotation marks. I believe that another round of editing would have been helpful.

I rate Betrayal of the Judge’s Wife 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because of the numerous misuses of commas and quotation marks. No warnings are necessary. The language is clean and there are no graphic descriptions of sex or violence. I would recommend this book for anyone interested in the powerful impact of decisions.

Betrayal of the Judge’s Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Michelle Fred » 04 Jul 2019, 05:03

Jan is so relatable, I wonder who doesn't daydream about the perfect life they would have had if they did Y instead of X. Your review definitely adds to the lure of the book, thank you.

Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid » 04 Jul 2019, 08:26

I would definitely pick this book. It's inspiring and educative to see or read about other women of status go through tests of life.
Amazing review.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by Magnify3 » 05 Jul 2019, 02:10

I am wondering about what happens to Jan after she leaves with the Marshals.
The what if's of life are so many. Does she have any more what if's after that? I guess I would have to read the book. Thanks for the review!

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Dee_218 » 05 Jul 2019, 15:00

What a relatable context. I am happy to read in the review of the solid plot. It sounds really warm as well. Thank you for the review.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 171
Currently Reading: Spellbound
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Broken Blood by Stephen Kunkler
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 09 Jul 2019, 00:08

I don't get how her parents AND boyfriend could advise her to get an abortion when they had to know it was illegal! :shock: Are they daft or just selfish? I really hope her life was better after she got away. Thanks for the review!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 09 Jul 2019, 10:08

Michelle Fred wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 05:03
Jan is so relatable, I wonder who doesn't daydream about the perfect life they would have had if they did Y instead of X. Your review definitely adds to the lure of the book, thank you.
I agree. I think we all have made a wish for choosing a different decision in hindsight. Yet, somehow it all seems to work out in the end. Thank you for stopping by and leaving your positive comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 09 Jul 2019, 10:23

Shadiid wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 08:26
I would definitely pick this book. It's inspiring and educative to see or read about other women of status go through tests of life.
Amazing review.
Yes, Jan is a strong woman. I think you will enjoy this book. The more I reflect, the more I like this book even as I was writing this review, which was a lot. Thank you for reading and leaving your positive comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 09 Jul 2019, 18:41

Magnify3 wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 02:10
I am wondering about what happens to Jan after she leaves with the Marshals. The what if's of life are so many. Does she have any more what if's after that? I guess I would have to read the book. Thanks for the review!
She has some in respect to situations that arise while in prison. The ending has a nice surprise, at least I thought it did. I think you'll enjoy it. Thank you for reading and leaving the enjoyable comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 09 Jul 2019, 19:02

Dee_218 wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 15:00
What a relatable context. I am happy to read in the review of the solid plot. It sounds really warm as well. Thank you for the review.
It is a warm story, and it left me with a good feeling. Hopefully, it will leave you with a good feeling as well. Thank you for reading and leaving your comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 09 Jul 2019, 20:04

Kelyn wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 00:08
I don't get how her parents AND boyfriend could advise her to get an abortion when they had to know it was illegal! :shock: Are they daft or just selfish? I really hope her life was better after she got away. Thanks for the review!
Yeah, I admit I was surprised, but I think it was the author's way to present the different viewpoints toward abortion. If you do read this book, I don't think you will be disappointed. Throughout the book Murphy writes scenarios that are thought-provoking on several topics (PTSD, Vietnam War, favoritism in delivering the sentencing) which leads to a satisfying ending. Thank you for reading and leaving your engaging comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Claimed by Nicolai by Denna Holm

Post by Cotwani » 31 Jul 2019, 16:27

Even though Jan pleaded guilty, the judge disagreed and ruled that she had to serve time in prison. Jan, her family, and the town of Barrie, Ohio were shocked. To show moral support and wish her good luck, Jan’s family, minus her second husband, and the town held a farewell party the evening before she was scheduled to begin her prison term
Just scratching my head here and thinking - was her second husband the judge? A really intriguing book, even without drama. A shame about the errors. Thanks for the thought-provoking review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 02 Aug 2019, 21:05

Cotwani wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 16:27
Even though Jan pleaded guilty, the judge disagreed and ruled that she had to serve time in prison. Jan, her family, and the town of Barrie, Ohio were shocked. To show moral support and wish her good luck, Jan’s family, minus her second husband, and the town held a farewell party the evening before she was scheduled to begin her prison term
Just scratching my head here and thinking - was her second husband the judge? A really intriguing book, even without drama. A shame about the errors. Thanks for the thought-provoking review.
Good guess! But no, her second husband wasn't the presiding judge even though he worked his way up in law to be a judge. The story does have an interesting twist in the end. I think you would enjoy it in spite of the punctuation errors. Thank you for reading and leaving a comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 04 Aug 2019, 02:46

The plot and the writing style just don't draw me in, so I'll pass.Great review, though!

Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 04 Aug 2019, 15:36

Mbrooks2518 wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 02:46
The plot and the writing style just don't draw me in, so I'll pass.Great review, though!
Thank you for reading and leaving a comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”