Official Review: We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Aid from Above by Kurtis Bell

Official Review: We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy

Post by lisalynn » 19 Jun 2019, 11:48

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy" by Ira L. White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gilbert “Gil” McGillicuddy is an eighty-nine-year-old war veteran battling dementia along with the general maladies of advanced age. Robert, his conspiracy-theory blogger son, lives close and cares for his father to the best of his ability. Ruby, Robert’s down-on-her-luck pregnant daughter, comes to live with him, bringing along his twelve-year-old granddaughter, Sapphire. Thus the scene is set for We Won’t Forget You, Mr. McGillicuddy by Ira L. White.

Gil is a feisty old man. He flirts with the waitress in the diner. Flirts with the grocery store checker. Flirts with the old ladies in his apartment building. His philosophy to attract women is to “make ‘em laugh, make ‘em smile.” His biggest fear is that he won’t be remembered, but he himself remembers less and less every day. He dreams of his dead wife, and of the horrors of battle from his service days. He thinks a man carrying a toy bulldog visits him in the night. Robert writes his blog posts and tries to manage the needy family that pulls him from both sides.

The book is filled with the minutia of life. Things like Gil getting out of bed, eating breakfast, and going to the grocery store are recounted in vivid detail. The descriptions of the surrounding landscape and the change of seasons are long and lyrical. There’s a matter-of-fact tone to the narrative that belies the seriousness of this family’s problems. In addition to Gil’s decline, Robert has health problems of his own. There’s not enough money to go around for broken furnaces and stalled vehicles and still support the household now expanded with three new members, Ruby, Sapphire, and Ruby’s new baby. Throw in a vindictive nemesis from Robert’s college days, and tension stirs below the surface of the most mundane interactions.

White does a magnificent job of showing us Gil’s state of mind. Anyone with aging parents or grandparents will recognize the types of conversations the old man has with those around him and with himself. Before going to breakfast, Gil forgets to put in his dentures. He gets dressed but puts his shoes on before his pants and has to start over. He stows the milk in the cupboard and the cereal in the refrigerator. All of this could be construed as comical, but it’s not meant to be. What happens to Gil is what really does happen to people with dementia. It’s heartbreaking.

In addition to characterizing Gil so perfectly, White does an equally good job with the rest of the characters. Ruby and Sapphire ring true in their attitudes and are easily understood. Robert is more complex. In all of his interactions with his family, he’s gentle, kind and caring, logical and practical, and dispenses invaluable advice to all. What we see of his life is in stark contrast to what he writes in his blog. His posts are filled with rants and accusations about the unfairness of life in general.

There are several of these complete blog entries included in the story. One of them runs seven pages. That much justice-warrior rhetoric is not going to appeal to the fiction fan. The blog sections are tough reads and bring the flow of the story to a screeching halt. They are intended to show Robert’s passions, but a smattering of quotes would give us the idea just as effectively. Sprinkled among the later chapters, there are also several omniscient POV chapters that begin with the concept “somewhere in America there is”—a couple about to lose their home to foreclosure due to crushing medical bills; a pregnant young woman working on her feet for long hours without a break to even go to the bathroom; two homeless veterans drinking themselves into a stupor because, even though they put their lives on the line for the country, they’ve now become invisible to the general public. All the scenarios are troubling. All are problems in society that should be addressed. They relate only marginally to what’s going on with the McGillicuddy family. These random scenes would be more meaningful if they were the direct springboards for Robert’s blogs.

I can’t quite count this book as perfect, so I must rate it three out of four stars. The overarching political statement that White seeks to slip into the narrative is idealistic and actually detracts from an otherwise touching family drama. There are a few editing errors, almost all comma usage. The casual reader won’t notice or care about most of these instances, and their enjoyment of this story will not be diminished. I can recommend this book to all readers. There are no motorcycle chases, time travel or talking dogs, but anyone can relate to these real people dealing with real problems. On the surface, the story may seem simple, but there’s much more here than meets the eye.

We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: No Rest for the Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 21 Jun 2019, 06:12

I feel like I can learn something about what my grandmother is going through by reading this. I also know it will probably break my heart. This sounds like it can be an amazing book if the filler is taken out. Thank you, what a great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Wabbyrn
Currently Reading: The Lost Girls of Paris
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Wabbyrn » 21 Jun 2019, 10:58

Although your review makes the book sound like a worthy read, I read to escape some of the more painful realities of life. An aging father, and adult children with their children coming home with new issues and troubles is a little too close to home. I will pass on this. Thank you for your enlightening review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Daredevils by Anne Greene

Post by kdstrack » 21 Jun 2019, 18:22

This is a situation many will be able to relate to and understand. I can see how the political opinions would detract from the overall story. Great review!

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 24
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Silenced Behind the Silence
Bookshelf Size: 747
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy by GJ Neumann

Post by Kibetious » 04 Jul 2019, 23:49

Thanks for this thorough review. It is true that what Gil is undergoing is not an exaggeration but what happens to anyone who has dementia. The author did a perfect job here.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”