Review by Helene_2008 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Review by Helene_2008 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Helene_2008 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Depending on your perspective, Hiram McDowell, can be many different things. He can be a surgeon, musician, successful businessman, and philanthropist. Or is it possible, he could also be manipulative, objectify women, and greedy. It will be an important part of Paige Sterling's career to determine how she portrays McDowell to the public.

Paige is a middle-age TV journalist who is forced into a different direction in news-casting by her new boss. She must gain research and insight into Dr. McDowell to a create a TV special about the future Secretary of Health and Human Services. But what she uncovers may not make him so fit for the job. Along the way, Paige meets Sophie, one of McDowell's daughters. Can their relationship that develops withstand the chase for the truth about Dr. McDowell?

McDowell is a dark drama that follows the lives of McDowell, his family, and Paige, as they intertwine over time. The book touches on the topics of mass shootings, money influencing politics, and assisted suicide. William H. Coles creates a novel you will not want to put down, wondering what could possibly happen next.

I give McDowell a 4 out of 4 rating. While I enjoyed the whole book, my favorite part was McDowell's time with Maud and Pops. I liked Maud and McDowell's discussion as Maud criticized McDowell's memoir. It really gives you perspective of the transformation McDowell goes through. I also really enjoyed reading an argument between McDowell and his daughter, Sophie. Sophie seems to want to blame her father for some of the misery she is currently experiencing in her life. On the other hand, McDowell explains to Sophie she is responsible for her own life. I admit McDowell does avoid responsibility for some things in the beginning of the book, but I had to agree with him here. As a human being we ultimately make our own choices, and if we are unhappy, we should not blame that on others.

There were no mistakes or issues with editing that I could find. I did have a slight issue with some formatting though. Some of the chapters had years at the beginning, while others did not. While I didn't care either way of the years were there, I wish it would have been consistent throughout the book. I also did not like Billie's relationship with his stepsister. I thought it was unnecessary and distasteful. Since these are just small issues with the book, I still really enjoyed it and highly recommend it. I would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys dramas. The book is appropriate for adult readers only.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Presenting Paige's perspective was a unique way to present this book. You give interesting comments about many of the other characters, also. I like your descriptions of Maud and Billie. Great review!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Good review. I personally did not like this book but was impressed by the author's writing. I think he wrote Dr. McDowell's character so well I just ended up disliking the character on a personal level. That's good writing.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I read this book also and agree that I did not like McDowell's character very much, but I did feel like he changed through the book. I do like that you wrote the story from Paige's perspective also. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

That's a unique summary of the book; I like it. I also found this book profound and insightful: I believe a McDowell lives in each of us. But the copy I read had many grammar issues. I'm glad to know that the errors have been resolved.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

It is so true, the character of a person is reflected to you, the way you to see it. Informative review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

McDowell" is a captivating and emotionally charged novel that explores the complexities of human relationships.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”