Official Review: His Last Mission by William Clifford Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
Mercy Bolo
2019 Reading Goal: 144
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: Stolen Valor by Craig Rainey

Official Review: His Last Mission by William Clifford Brown

Post by Mercy Bolo » 17 Jun 2019, 08:52

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "His Last Mission" by William Clifford Brown.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

His Last Mission by William Clifford Brown is a work of fiction that follows the life of Will Brandon, a young American who returns home after fighting in the Vietnam war.

The book opens with Will at his high school reunion. He reminisces about the good times and contrasts his turbulent time in Vietnam to his friends' mundane lives. He is nervous about reuniting with a long lost love since he hadn't replied to her letters. The plot alternates between past and present and walks readers through Will's childhood, his teenage years, his time in Vietnam, and his reintegration into society.

I like that Will appreciated the calmness of his hometown although he noticed it after spending time in a warzone. I, however, didn't like the book's format since the scenes changed drastically. One moment Will would be catching up with a friend, and without warning, he would be traversing a Vietnamese jungle. I was often confused when different events occurred in the same chapter. Readers who prefer chronologically narrated stories might be put off by the drastic change of scenery. Although the scenes shifted, the third-person narration and the vivid descriptions made me feel like I was a bystander examining the characters' lives.

The camaraderie between Will and his fellow soldiers is admirable, and their dedication kept them alive. I was surprised at how humanely they treated the locals and formed solid friendships with them. I, therefore, cheered on when the soldiers retaliated against the Viet Cong, who reigned terror on their sympathizers. There are gory scenes that detail the brutality that Will witnessed, and I wondered whether he would get over the killings (albeit necessary) that he orchestrated. The author also touched on bullying, and I could see how such an experience could scar a child. I admired the tenacity and dedication of Will's grandmother, who raised him single-handedly and instilled good morals. She will inspire modern parents to set good examples for their children.

The book's events moved at a moderate pace, and the well-developed characters kept me engaged amid the chaos. There were, however, many spelling errors which appeared on almost every page. These dampened the reading experience, lowering the rating to 3 out of 4 stars. The cover and title left me confused when I started reading, but I can report that everything summed up toward the end. I would recommend this book to lovers of war stories and fans of historical fiction. However, readers who can't handle gore should avoid this book.

His Last Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: The Vision of Jenny Merkus by Hadassa Mor

Post by BrittaniDJ » 27 Jun 2019, 23:06

I would love it more if it was a book about the veteran healing through a relationship with the horse on the cover. From your review that doesn't seem likely. Probably would still be a good read though. Thanks for your review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 28 Jun 2019, 08:45

You talk about the quick changes from the high school reunion to the jungles. I wonder if that's what it really would feel like for someone who's been in combat. All in all, it definitely sounds like an interesting premise worth reading. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 28 Jun 2019, 12:00

Spending time outside your natal country opens your eyes to the differences in other cultures. At the same time, it changes you! I can understand the change of perspective when he came home. And he had all his war experiences to deal with besides. This sounds intriguing. Great review!

LeeleeByoma
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: Lost and Love: Thailand
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by LeeleeByoma » 28 Jun 2019, 15:26

I actually see a little bit of the story in the cover. It's the contrast between the chaotic warzone and the mundaneness of home which you referenced. Great review.

Charlie19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Charlie19 » 29 Jun 2019, 03:12

war is an unforgettable event and i think it makes us strong and tough..i am inspired by this story.

Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by Shadiid » 30 Jun 2019, 04:21

I think the cover is okay but it could be better. The image of an aircraft and a horse somehow seem relatively irrelevant to the story. I would not guess what the story is about by looking at the cover. :no-spoil:

Janalyn101
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Janalyn101 » 30 Jun 2019, 09:57

What a great review! I too do not like when someone in a book is talking to someone else and then in the next sentence they were in a whole different surroundings. It can be confusing and aggravating as for 10 pages there’s a diatribe that he supposedly thinking about while sitting there catching up with a friend. It made no sense. I do respect our soldiers as my son is one of them.g what a great review! I too do not like when someone in a book is talking to someone else and then in the next sentence they were in a whole different surrounding. It could be confusing and aggravating as for 10 pages there was a diatribe that he’s supposedly thinking about while sitting there catching up with a friend. It made no sense. I do respect our soldiers as my son is one of them and he was even wounded in battle. Yet I can attest to the fact that when we are talking he does not wander into space for 10 minutes and have to come back to the topic. I still thought this was a pretty good book though. And I absolutely thought this was a great review but encapsulated the book. :tiphat:

Wambui-nj
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 47
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Wambui-nj » 03 Jul 2019, 13:54

Great review and thanks for pointing out the sudden change of plot. All in all, it sounds like an interesting read.

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: The Depth of Grace
Bookshelf Size: 750
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy by GJ Neumann

Post by Kibetious » 06 Jul 2019, 02:29

I love fiction such as this and this could have definitely been an interesting book were it for the numerous errors present in almost every page. They make reading quite boring. Thanks for the thorough review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”