Official Review: I Need; I Want by Bill Liggins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
srividyag1
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: Ever Told by Benjamin Bremasi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: I Need; I Want by Bill Liggins

Post by srividyag1 » 15 Jun 2019, 13:59

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Need; I Want" by Bill Liggins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Need; I Want by Bill Liggins is the story of four actors who move to Hollywood to become rich and famous. Matt and Kayla are struggling performing artists who live in Tampa. They move to Hollywood along with Albert and Jenny. The glamour of Hollywood lures all of them, but the industry treats them in different ways. They face numerous auditions and rejections. These events stir up many emotions. Their relationships are affected and loyalties are questioned. Does fame come with a price? Can a relationship between two people withstand one person’s continuous success and the other’s continuous failure? Does your past come back to haunt you even though you want to change? These questions are answered in this fast-paced novel.

The author creates memorable and relatable characters who are all imperfect. Even though the four characters are very different, they are united by their love of acting. Matt and Kayla are African Americans trying for a better future as actors. Matt struggles to catch a lucky break as he works in telemarketing and customer service. Kayla is also stuck in “an artist’s nightmare, a humdrum job where she felt like an inconsequential rat in a wheel.” However, her talent for singing, her mixed ethnicity and discernible accent prove to be useful in auditions. At first glance, Jenny and Albert seem perfect for each other. Jenny is an insecure woman attracted to disturbed men. She is in a relationship with Albert who is hiding a dark past. Both of them are complex characters with many layers to their personality.

Everyone expects Hollywood to be a world of glamour and glitz. It is often portrayed as the land where dreams come true. Rags to riches stories of actors abound. This book is unique because it portrays the true face of Hollywood. To quote one of the characters, “Hollywood’s like a prude with a whore’s reputation. She’ll lure everyone to her, then slap them all for testin’ her warped virtue.” This book has all the vicissitudes of a struggling actor’s life and is filled with various emotions and romance.

I felt that the length of the book, which is almost 400 pages, was too long. The road trip from Tampa to Hollywood was especially dreary for me. The story moves to Hollywood only after the first 150 pages. I would urge the readers to be patient until then because the book gets entertaining after that. The writing becomes fast-paced, and the emotional conundrums of the characters become fascinating to watch.

I would have loved to give this book the highest rating because it was intriguing and insightful. Since I found many grammatical mistakes, I am constrained to give I Need; I Want by Bill Liggins 3 out of 4 stars. Nevertheless, I recommend this book to anyone who wants a fast-paced read filled with emotion. This story about the lives of actors has romance, drama, secrets and emotional upheavals. Therefore, anyone who appreciates these elements would enjoy this novel. However, readers who prefer action and intrigue might not relish it.

I Need; I Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like srividyag1's review? Post a comment saying so!
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 17 Jun 2019, 10:19

The rags to riches stories appeal to all of us; it's part of the American dream. I have no doubt, though, that Hollywood is not all it's cracked up to be. If this book delves a bit more into the real Hollywood, I'm all for it. It sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the review.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

srividyag1
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: Ever Told by Benjamin Bremasi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 » 17 Jun 2019, 11:45

kandscreeley wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 10:19
The rags to riches stories appeal to all of us; it's part of the American dream. I have no doubt, though, that Hollywood is not all it's cracked up to be. If this book delves a bit more into the real Hollywood, I'm all for it. It sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the review.
It's quite interesting, especially the experience of each of the characters. Thanks for the comment!!
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 18 Jun 2019, 13:01

Sounds like a decent book which would benefit from being cut down in size. Thanks for your review!

Jayden60
Currently Reading: The Dangerous Days of Daniel X
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Jayden60 » 18 Jun 2019, 13:45

Wow! 😁 sounds interesting since it has the elements I expect from books I read. And especially the experience of each of the characters.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Jessie and the Shimmering Withywicks by Viv Walker

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 18 Jun 2019, 18:43

I do not envy those in Hollywood or trying to make it in Hollywood as it seems like a lonely place! I am sure for every one success stories there is one thousand failures of people making it big. Thanks for the engaging review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Meg98 » 19 Jun 2019, 23:00

This sounds like a charming and promising story, but could probably be shortened in size. I'm not one for slower-paced books, so I think I will pass for now. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”