Pillars of the Earth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aikish12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Pillars of the Earth

Post by aikish12 »

One of the novels that I will always remember. The hardship that the characters experience got etched in my mind. The characters are so well defined and the story line is simply amazing the way all the characters are weaved together into an intricate web that spans a generation. I had a difficult time putting this book down!

Ken Follett does a masterful job of creating a believable setting and populating it with believable male characters. The novel follows the construction of a cathedral in 12th century England.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Yep, a truly excellent book.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Hourglass
Favorite Author: Too many to choose
Favorite Book: I have many favorites
Currently Reading: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

Post by Hourglass »

Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorite books. I didn't care for the second book that came out later, but Pillars will always be on my keeper shelf. I'm planning on buying it on Kindle, then I can buy another paperback to replace my much read and battered paperback. Then I can read it on the Kindle and keep the new paperback in good condition.
Hexipuff

Post by Hexipuff »

Fantastic book. Detailed - but interesting detail. Couldn't put it down
I enjoy books about this era - medieval history.
A24

Post by A24 »

I've been listening to this on audio (for quite a while now - it's 41 hours long!) and I love it. I'm in the final stretch and was wondering if any of you that have read this book have seen the mini series? I was thinking of ordering it.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@A24
Fantastic book and IMO still his best but the mini series was a sad disappointment - personally I watched maybe about half and gave up. Read the book and forget about the miniseries would be my advice. I love all his books to be honest but I have a special place for Pillars.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

Pillars of the Earth is one of my all time favourite books.
I love detailed historical fiction, based around real events as this was, starting with the sinking of the White Ship.

Am interested in OP's comment that the male characters were believable - to me, the female characters were too :?

I enjoyed the mini series too and I enjoyed the sequel World Without End - but it is not nearly as good as Pillars.
A24

Post by A24 »

Wow, I finally finished this one! I listened to it as an audiobook and it took me months! This was a very chunky historical fiction. Loved the detail and characters. It had sort of "soap opera" feel with all of the sub-plots. This book had it all: love, murder, rape, gruesome battles, witchery, lust, very descriptive architecture, revenge (yes, lots of revenge!)......
For as long as the book was, I do feel though that the ending came about so quickly. I found myself questioning who the characters were and what they represented. Even though it came about sort of rushed, I feel good about the ending and there was good closure. The evil ones got what they had coming.
I've come to know some of these characters so well over the past few months that I will miss them. But, on to other (hopefully shorter) books. 4.5/5
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
Alle Wells
Favorite Author: No Favorite
Favorite Book: Tale of Two Cities
Currently Reading: Upstairs at the White House
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alle-wells.html

Post by Alle Wells »

I loved this book too. Even though it's been a couple of years, I still get a glimpse of the characters in my head. It took me months to read it, therefore, I wasn't compelled to read the sequel.
crazyforbooks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyforbooks.html

Post by crazyforbooks »

I loved Pillars, but was really disappointed with the sequel even though I know that sequels are usually not as good. Some of the details are painful to read about, and they made me wonder how I would've survived if I lived in that time period. People were so much stronger back then, to have dealt with the hardships and still continue to carry on.
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

The sequel is nowhere near as good - the characters are too extreme.

Pillars has all the characters with believable flaws, the heroes aren't perfect people and the villians have motives, like jealousy etc and redeeming features - they are not just born intrinsically and wholly bad - World without End has unrealistic all-evil villians and that really lets the book down.
It doesn't come across as a real story about real people.
Seni

Post by Seni »

I finally will have time to read Pillars of Earth. I have read the first few chapters and so far have loved it. I find many of the female characters so strong and during those times were probably not seen with kind eyes for being that way. I also love the way the times are described, I can almost see myself helping out to build the cathedral.
Reshmi
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Our Lady of Alice Bhatti
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reshmi.html

Post by Reshmi »

A wonderful book and even the sequel to this book which is 'World without an End' is also very good.
Seni

Post by Seni »

Not sure if I will read A World Without End, as I don't believe sequels are ever that great. I will read the first book of Follett's trilogy The Century: Fall of Giants.
Hannaa_Campbell
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannaa-campbell.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Hannaa_Campbell »

I just read this book! Totally agree.
"Pain demands to be felt" - John Green

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”