Official Review: A Very Special House by Thea Ramsay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
CataclysmicKnight
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 61
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 702
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Royal Rodger and the Great King by P. Edwin Harris

Official Review: A Very Special House by Thea Ramsay

Post by CataclysmicKnight » 03 Jun 2019, 13:28

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Very Special House" by Thea Ramsay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've lived in numerous homes, but two have held special meaning for me: the childhood home I grew up in until my late teens and the first home I moved into as an adult. While I can't say for certain both are true for Louise, the lead character of Thea Ramsay's A Very Special House, she certainly loved her family home in Maui. Unfortunately, life isn't a fairy tale, and while the home was spectacular, life in it wasn't.

A Very Special House tells Louise's story through conversations with her psychiatrist (who she aptly nicknamed Dr. Glasses) and Louise's memories. Her memories often spill forth in daydreams and nightmares, where she sees the events of her past through rose-colored glasses before being reminded of the horrors of her past.

If the last decade of movies and television have taught me anything, it's that one of my favorite themes in media is questioning reality. Movies like Memento and TV shows like Legion and Maniac have a way of showing the viewer something, then peeling back "reality" to reveal what's really true. A Very Special House does this to an extent too, but it uses a far more ordinary life: the life of a woman who married an abusive man in addition to drifting apart from her children. There's no mystery to solve, no shifty drug trial to survive, and there certainly isn't a tug-of-war with a powerful psychic being trapped in her mind, yet Thea manages to make Louise's struggle feel just as tense and even terrifying at moments. Not being able to fully trust what one is seeing is unsettling, and Thea knows it.

Even with all of that said, if I were forced to recommend A Very Special House for only a single reason, it would easily be how evocative the author's writing is. She brings the senses to life with her words in a way that few books ever have. I felt the Maui soil between my fingers just as much as I felt Louise's tears run down her cheek or the sting of slaps upon soft, undeserving faces. Most of all, I felt absolutely consumed by the dread of reliving Louise's past and her powerlessness during her psychoses. Her surrender to her circumstances is likely never better captured than by this quote - "The awareness of being alone surrounded me like a wall. I could see it, touch it, bump into it. The one thing I couldn’t do was make it go away." - and I was able to relate to it far too well due to my own depressive episodes.

As far as negatives are concerned, I did find two minor grammatical errors. I also took a while to appreciate the ending; I wasn't a fan of a big part of it initially, but the more thought I gave it, the more I enjoyed it. Saying anything more at all would spoil it, and that would be a terrible shame. My rating of Thea Ramsay's A Very Special House is 4 out of 4 stars. I can't recommend it enough for people who have been in a bad relationship or have faced even the most common mental or emotional challenges (like depression), as well as people who enjoy the mystery of a relatable life revealed, who love having their senses captured via writing, and who enjoy stories about the way our minds work. There is no sex in the book, and the language used would've given the movie version of the book a PG-13 rating. As such, I can see people in their mid-to-late teens enjoying it as well, and its short length (around 60 pages) doesn't hurt either.

A Very Special House
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

KristyKhem
2019 Reading Goal: 150
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: The Diary of Vanessa Rocoso by Z. D. Boxall

Post by KristyKhem » 07 Jun 2019, 11:33

This book sounds interesting! It seems to have a mysterious vibe to the story that intrigues me. I loved how you described the author's writing. Great review!

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by maggi3 » 07 Jun 2019, 13:44

This is such an intriguing book. I feel like the quote from the story says a lot about the author’s beautiful writing style. I’ll have to pick this one up. Thanks for the recommendation!

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 07 Jun 2019, 23:04

This, uh, this sounds like a haunted house kinda story. I'm wondering if I should read it, given how easily I scare.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Screamcatcher
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by Scarlet Nicoll » 10 Jun 2019, 01:21

I like a good read that makes you swim in the plot. This sounds so promising that I would love to try it. Thank you for this candid account!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”