Review by Jackeline2121- -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Jackeline2121-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackeline2121.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Jackeline2121- -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Jackeline2121- » 02 Jun 2019, 23:27

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is a creative and intense adventure novel that leaves you pondering of what will happen next. Charlie keeps you captivated with astonishing imagery that makes you feel as if you're in the story. The author didn't just convey one point of view but he went the extra mile in describing the situation in other character's perspective. With each character's development in the story you begin to see a secondary plot unfold from the main plot.

Captain Steve Procida awakens to the sound of furious fire alarms. With the help of his crew he figures out that there is no possible way to put out the flames before any major injuries could happen. The decision is clear to everyone. The captain orders everyone to evacuate the Seattle Express ship. Thus, leaving everyone adrift. Half of the crew jumps on one lifeboat and the other half on another, along with the captain. Both boats are taken by the waves in opposite directions. Leaving everyone wondering if they could survive the harsh arctic weather. The company Buckhorn that owns the Seattle Express sends their tugboat to retrieve their abandoned ship, they aren't the only ones that want the ship. A small salvage company owned by Larry and Louise are also trying to get their hands on the Seattle Express ship with the intention of using their small tugboat named Warhorse. The retrieval of the ship proves to be challenging due to the icy weather, even for the rescue teams looking for any survivors. Will both lifeboats be found in time? Who will be the first to reach the Seattle Express? Will the harsh conditions in December cause the rescue teams to delay their search?

The combination between survival and adventure brings this story to life. One of my favorite things would be that there isn't any slow moments in the book. Charlie Sheldon always found a way to keep it intriguing. Definitely did not want to stop reading. At first I thought that the idea of using multiple characters would be confusing. However, the author cleverly executed each character's interactions.

It was an eloquently written story, that seems to have a sequel. From what I noticed, there were a couple grammatical errors. This did not derail my understanding from the book. Furthermore, I found myself looking up the definitions of some of the nautical terms. At the same time this helped expand my vocabulary in a great way.

In conclusion, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. As I mentioned before Charlie Sheldon uses a unique method in incorporating the character's own point of view. As someone who has minimal knowledge about boats this book gave me a better understanding of how things work. Personally I wouldn't recommend this to young children readers due to its mature content. I would recommend this book to someone looking for a survival and adventure book. I do believe this is a marvelous story that can be shared with diverse readers.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jackeline2121-'s review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”