Review by mledmonds -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
mledmonds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mledmonds.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Review by mledmonds -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by mledmonds » 30 May 2019, 22:40

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is one of those fantastic books that you never want to put down once you start reading it. It is suspenseful but not scary. Adrift is about a container ship that's abandoned in the North Pacific due to a fire. Crews make it to the lifeboats, but that is just the beginning of the story with many more adventures to come.

This book is also about Larry and Louise who own the cargo ship that sets out to rescue the abandoned ship. This is their last-ditch effort to save their family business. They have a courageous crew with them, and each of them has their own struggles in life.

Charlie Sheldon shows his remarkable writing skills when he describes what it feels like to sit in a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean with not a soul around. Through his descriptive narrative, you can feel the terror of the lifeboat and the panic that ensues when the lifeboat flips upside down. His descriptions are so well written that I felt like I was sitting in the lifeboat with the crew.

I really liked the characters in the book because each character has their own intriguing story and I found myself cheering for each one of them. All the characters are very well woven into the story and each one brings an important element to the plot. Some of the characters know each other from an earlier book, “Strong Heart”. There are a few references to the first book in the series but not enough to know what really happened in the first book. The references in the story gave me just enough information to make me want to go back and read it.

The author does include a very detailed description of how the crew of the rescue ship used a cable to attach the abandoned ship to the rescue ship. I did not understand all the terms used, and I had a hard time understanding what it all meant. I would not say that this is a negative to the book, but it did help me to understand that the author obviously has a vast knowledge of ships.

The only downfall to the book was that the author did not explain how the fire started on the ship, or what the captain suspected had happened. There are a few vague references to one of the crew members and suspicious cargo, but those details are not fully explained.

Even though there were some unexplained events in the story, I would still highly recommend this book. Anyone who likes a book with suspense, and would enjoy reading about the North Pacific Ocean, and the challenges of living and working in that area will enjoy this adventure story. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because of how well it was written and how pleasurable it was to read. If I could, I would give this book 5 stars because of how good it was.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mledmonds's review? Post a comment saying so!

Biaclassic1
Currently Reading: Towards happier choices
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biaclassic1.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Biaclassic1 » 08 Jul 2019, 05:36

That seems to be an amazing story with a lot of information about voyage, culture, thoughts and struggles made by people who engaged in it. That make this book is worth reading definitely.

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by LinaMueller » 08 Jul 2019, 07:06

Thanks for posting. Cheers for the great review, mledmonds.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”