Official Review: Q: Snippets From a Rideshare Driver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Wicked Wives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Q: Snippets From a Rideshare Driver by R.C. Otovic

Official Review: Q: Snippets From a Rideshare Driver

Post by bookowlie » 30 May 2019, 13:21

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Q: Snippets From a Rideshare Driver" by R.C. Otovic.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Q: Snippets from a Rideshare Driver by R.T. Otovic takes a look at one man’s job as a rideshare driver. It can be categorized as biographical fiction and is loosely based on the author’s experiences. After working in various jobs in the transportation industry, Boston native C.D. Howell becomes a rideshare driver at Tampa Bay International Airport. The story focuses on his reminiscences of quirky passengers and the downtime spent with other drivers in the cellphone parking lot. There are also recommendations for improvements, such as mandatory vehicle inspections every ninety days.

Ridesharing is similar to taking a taxi; the key difference is multiple people can share a ride to their respective destinations. The “Q” is an abbreviation for a queue. In this case, rideshare drivers “get in line” through a cellphone app and wait their turn for passengers. By ending each chapter with a random Q number, the author gives an effective reminder of what it’s like to wait in the parking lot between rides.

The parking lot becomes a living room of sorts, as the drivers relax between rides. The imagery is clear of the group playing cards on the back of a car while regaling each other with funny stories. Each driver’s backstory is fleshed out well. It’s interesting that some people prefer being a rideshare driver vs. working in an office. For example, attorney Mathieu quit his job at a law firm to become a rideshare driver, and he loves his new profession.

I thoroughly enjoyed this witty, well-written book. I laughed out loud when one passenger, Frank, called to ask if C.D. was driving a Toyota Corolla with an “f--ing piece of sh-- Red Sox sticker on the back.” When entering the vehicle, Frank admitted he was a New Yorker; it can be assumed he was a Yankees fan.

C.D.’s warm, down-to-earth personality is the heart of this story and gives it a special sparkle. I felt like he was an old friend telling me about his day at the “office.” There is a repetitive feel at times, with a frequent request to raise your hand if you can relate to the person or situation being described. Still, the stream of entertaining anecdotes gave me a clear sense of what it’s like to be a rideshare driver.

Each account of a passenger or fellow driver contains interesting details and realistic dialogue. Although the story is slow paced at times, the anecdotes are absorbing and humorous.

This book has earned a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I giggled throughout this light-hearted story and learned a lot about this profession. It’s clear the book was carefully edited, as I spotted only two minor errors. I would recommend it to readers who enjoy memoirs and like getting an up-close view of an occupation. In particular, the story would likely appeal to frequent flyers and taxi/rideshare drivers. I look forward to reading future books by this talented author.

Q: Snippets From a Rideshare Driver
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

kandscreeley
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by kandscreeley » 31 May 2019, 09:49

I have always imagined that any kind of driver like that would see and hear any number of interesting (and perhaps undesirable) things. This sounds like an enjoyable enough read, and I am curious as to what all the author shares with his reader. Thanks so much for another engaging review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

bookowlie
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Wicked Wives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Q: Snippets From a Rideshare Driver by R.C. Otovic

Post by bookowlie » 31 May 2019, 09:56

Thanks Kandscreeley! The author's amiable personality really shines through in this book, which is loosely based on his real-life experiences.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: My Thirty Years In New York City by John Joseph Strangi

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 May 2019, 12:45

This is a really interesting premise for a book, and it sounds like the story is quite engaging. Thanks for the recommendation.

AKShanmar12
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by AKShanmar12 » 31 May 2019, 12:50

I always enjoy drilling my uber driver's for interesting stories, so this sounds like a fun read!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Jaime Lync
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 500
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Jaime Lync » 31 May 2019, 16:52

The book cover and title drew me in and your review really sold it. Thanks for sharing. I love books that have a it of focus on characters.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack » 01 Jun 2019, 16:26

What a unique theme for a book! This is a growing business and the author's experiences sound quite interesting. I like how you describe the camaraderie that develops between the drivers. Great review. Thanks!

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: The Woven Ring
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Letora » 02 Jun 2019, 07:04

With ridesharing so popular these days, it would be interesting to read a book based on it. I imagine every new passenger has a whole new story to tell. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Janalyn101
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Janalyn101 » 10 Jun 2019, 18:55

This book sounds right up my alley. I love to read a book about people who don’t know I know about them. LOL! What a great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”