Review by autumnr13 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
autumnr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnr13.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Review by autumnr13 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by autumnr13 » 27 May 2019, 20:46

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While a container ship, the Seattle Express, is travelling through the Gulf of Alaska in early December, captain Steve Procida is suddenly awakened by the delayed sounding of the general fire alarm. Questions are raised as how the ship's alarm system did not go off sooner. A seemingly unstoppable fire is rapidly spreading across ship and Steve makes the call to split the crew into two groups, board life boats, and abandon ship.

The company that owns the burning ship, Buckhorn, is in a race with a crew on an old tug, Warhorse, belonging to Larry and Louise to retrieve the ship. 300 miles away Larry and Louise pack up an rush towards the ship to earn a big claim that could save their business if they are the ones able to retrieve it first. The race is tight but Warhorse has them beat, arriving to the scene and boarding the ship in the icy cold, wave-infested open ocean. We are also introduced to another Warhorse member, Travis, as he quits his job and sets out on this journey. Tragedy strikes upon boarding the ship and creates a difficult situation for the Warhorse crew and puts more pressure on their struggle against time. The lifeboat William had boarded never had radio connection and was not seen by the people on the lifeboat Steve had been on.

Steve's boat is found relatively soon and they are rescued, but the hazardous weather warrants only a limited time for a search crew to go out in hopes of finding William's boat. This group waits in fear as the engine dies and the waves carry them closer and closer to the sharp and rigid coast of William's homeland, Haida Gwaii. The boat is missing for days and back home Myra, Tom, and Sarah become desperate to form a plan. With time Myra begins to lose hope in her father being found but Sarah remains persistent, driven, and optimistic.

Pete is brought back from the first book and serves as a security guard at the dock the Seattle Express is expected to arrive at. Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is the second book in the Strong Heart series and picks up with many of the main characters from book one. Consisting of 6 points of view, these parallel storylines combine to illustrate multiple perspectives of a given situation. All of these perspectives come together like a puzzle to represent the hardship each character faces individually, yet explores how these struggles can also relate and be connected to one another. The characters come together and learn to support one another in this difficult time that they are all impacted by.

There is the theme of both physical and emotional challenges when faced with a struggle for survival. There's also a strong sense of financial instability and love. There is no doubt a major focus on the importance of strength of the human spirit. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 because of the success of character development, their relatability, and the writing style. What I liked the most was how the plot and execution of the story line is told in a way that gets the reader hooked and creates a kind of bond between the reader and character. You get connected to them and feel good in their triumphs and stomach-dropping suspense during climaxes and tragedies.

One thing I did find difficult was to keep up with all of the boat-related terminology and extensive details about ships, but I admire the author's use of his past and his life skills and knowledge he acquired through his work and how it was represented in the book. Despite not knowing some of the vernacular, it did not take away from the story line or how much I enjoyed the book, which is why I rated it 4 stars. I think the audience is geared towards anyone who likes suspenseful story lines, journeys about the human spirit, self-development, the struggle of survival, people who enjoy series, and anyone who enjoyed the first book.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like autumnr13's review? Post a comment saying so!

Dragonsend
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 416
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Dragonsend » 16 Jun 2019, 14:19

I have read several reviews and did not know this was part of a series. Thank you for the info!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

Artizi
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi » 16 Jun 2019, 21:34

Creating an earnest bond between readers and the characters in the books they are enjoying isn't as easy as some people might believe, so it's great that the author achieved this connection. Thank you for a great review!

If you wouldn't mind checking my latest review, that would be greatly appreciated!

All the best!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”