Review by Nyambara -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nyambara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambara.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by Nyambara -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nyambara »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If anyone has ever wanted to delve into the mind of a man, here is a good place to find it. Man Mission is a book that takes us on a journey of four young men as they figure out their adult life out with the main focus being their annual rugged vacations. They are termed “Man Missions” as they are meant to be tough, masculine excursions that rely for the most part on their own human effort.

Year after year, through extraordinary destinations like Harper’s pass in New Zealand, Yasawa Islands in Fiji and the Otter Trail in South Africa, we see life as a man experiences it. The protagonist takes us through his own life starting from when he was fresh out of college when man mission was a concept he and his friend only fantasized about. On through his working life, dating, marriage and kids, he allows us into his life and experiences both in and out of the excursions year after year.

Different stages of life call for different kinds of decision making and different mindsets. As a lady reader, Man Mission in some ways brought out the differences in the mindset and perception of men is as compared to women. While the presence of women in the book is not a great deal, the wives of the men were still able to give decent gender contrast.

The bit I liked most was the pace by pace raw telling of the goings-on of these gentlemen. This side of the books gives insight and deeper understanding of how various situations affect people, even friends, differently and how they distinctively comprehend diverse affairs. However, the continuous vacation after vacation became monotonous and is the bit I liked least. While random different locations can be exciting, it felt as though they took away from the book as the reader feels compelled to skim through the vacation details to get to the juicier bits of the events of their lives. I also did not understand or see the relevance of the quoted bible verses at the beginning of every chapter. They did not seem fitting.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the factors that I did not like, Eytan Uliel has created something particularly valuable by illuminating into the mind of a man. While it is not representative of all men, it gives a fair portrayal. The book was also exceptionally well edited as it had no errors found. 2 stars would have been far too low for the character development within, while 4 stars too high for the negative reasons given above.

The book would appeal most to adventure lovers and seekers. It is mild PG therefore appropriate for most audiences.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Nyambara's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”