Official Review: The Undeparted by Timothy Watkinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Undeparted by Timothy Watkinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Undeparted by Timothy Watkinson

Post by MarisaRose » 13 May 2019, 08:43

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Undeparted" by Timothy Watkinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Undeparted by Timothy Watkinson is a work of literary fiction. The novel begins with John, an odd man with some egregious mental illnesses that hinder his daily activities. Most notably, John has an aggressive form of obsessive compulsive disorder; he always feels dirty and must sanitize himself and his possessions. On a seemingly normal day, John runs into Ricky, an acquaintance from grade school. With this brief encounter, John’s life quickly changes as he is forced to interact on an entirely new social level. John finds himself attending parties, going to pubs, mingling with the upper-academic echelon, and even romantically involved with a beautiful woman, much to the dismay of Ricky and his colleagues.

Set against the academic backdrop of a university, Watkinson uses his characters to give readers a brutally honest look at the human condition. As John spearheads his way through his new relationships, while dealing with the prison that is his own mind, additional characters are quickly thrown into the mix, and the narrative perspective is equally distributed. We become privy to the inner thoughts of Ricky, Ellen (Ricky's wife), and Ricky’s academic colleague Peter. Although none of these characters are likable in the traditional sense, the flaws of the characters are what make them engaging and worth reading about. This book is like a terrible accident one cannot look away from: Ricky is incredibly selfish, Peter is cluelessly self-absorbed, Ellen is constantly questioning her life, and John is painfully unskilled at almost everything. However, Watkinson beautifully portrays the candid thoughts of each of these characters and plays towards the intricacies of each character’s psyche.

However, there was one character whose perspective was missing. Margaret, the beautiful secretary that all the men seem to desire, becomes romantically involved with John. Margaret is a single mother to a curious little girl, Rosie, and she comes across as intelligent and self-sufficient. Watkinson focuses heavily on one of these relationships: John becomes a quasi-caretaker to Rosie, and the development of their relationship was quite poignant. The juxtaposition between John, with his lack of social skills, and Rosie, with her inability to see John as anything other than a friend, was portrayed extremely well. However, the relationship between John and Margaret suffered from the lack of Margaret’s perspective. I was left with too many questions. Mostly, what were Margaret’s motives, and why did she continue to be involved with such a strange man? However, maybe it was Watkinson's intention to leave this relationship so vague, thus adding a sense of mystery to the story.

As for the writing, the author masterfully keeps the story moving. The characters are introduced fluidly and with intention, and the use of short chapters helped pique my interest. Further, the story is imbued with colloquial language appropriate for the British setting, creating a truly immersive narrative. I also enjoyed the use of common themes found in a typical university scene: age disparities, gender inequality, and narcissism are just some of the major themes used to propel the plot forward.

Unfortunately, The Undeparted did not appear to be professionally edited. I found numerous errors throughout the text; however, these errors only slightly impacted my enjoyment of the novel. Though I thoroughly enjoyed the psychological elements of the story, the relevant societal themes, and the eccentricities of the characters, the editorial issues force me to rate The Undeparted 3 out of 4 stars. Despite its flaws, I highly recommend this novel to readers who enjoy literary fiction about the human condition and don’t mind a few unlikable characters. However, due to some adult content, I only recommend this book to a mature audience.

The Undeparted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Boy 2 Man
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Winning Baseball: A Simple Game of 10 by Les Gerdin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 14 May 2019, 13:05

This seems very interesting with its character fluidity, and plot. The numerous errors might be a turn off for me. However, touching various societal issues makes it one I'd love to check out. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 14 May 2019, 14:35

It seems that this book is more of a drama focusing on the characters' lives. I'm glad that the author wrote them realistically, each with their own flaws. I'm just not sure this is a book that would fit my needs at the moment. Glad that you enjoyed it, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Rachel Lea » 14 May 2019, 17:38

This sounds like a carefully-woven and very interesting story. I really enjoy character-driven novels. It's too bad about all of the grammar errors, though. Great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requeim
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Living With Alzheimer’s: A Journey Observed by Leigh Smyth, MD

Post by kdstrack » 14 May 2019, 20:40

This has to be my next read! I have a relative with OCD, and I have seen how this condition affects others. This story line piqued my interest right away. I appreciate your insightful review.

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by DogoMulla » 15 May 2019, 09:07

I'm already proud of Timothy Watkinson for addressing less popular issues. There's a lot going on that people would rather overlook, those who refuse to ignore these issues are noteworthy. Thank you for the insightful review.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: Can I Kill Him Now?
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 561
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: We Have Met the Enemy by Felicia A. Watson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 16 May 2019, 08:19

I reviewed this book a while back. I'm sad that the editing is still wanting. That was the only thing that stood in the way of a perfect rating for me.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”