Review by Beatus -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Beatus -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Beatus » 13 May 2019, 07:18

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I remember the time when I wouldn't feel so frustrated because I was short of money. And it wasn't because I didn't know the value of money, but because I knew that I could eat and sleep well without it. Imagine yourself broke and desperate in the middle of a storm racing to rescue a cargo ship abandoned at sea after it caught fire. Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is the best sea adventure book I have read since Papillon by Henry Charrière. It glued me to my seat for hours on end.

What I liked most about the book is how the author weaved the chapters with the characters. Each chapter is named after its star character. This approach made the characters so whole, real and relatable. Moreover, it bolstered the story and added so much value and meaning to it. As a reader I was brought so close to the reality of the characters' struggles because the author made them so normal. You can actually understand why they behave and think the way they do. The description of the environment is so vivid and genuine. I believe there are some places that I may go or situations that I may encounter and remember this story.

If you look at the cover picture, you will be impressed. You can almost smell the sea. Now, the writing is so smooth you can almost taste it. I love adventures, and I feel that every individual should have at least one adventure in their lifetime. Therefore, I recommend this book to all those who like to have an adventure. The story has several side tales and each of them contributing so nicely to the main one. This kept the flow of the story very interesting for almost any book lover.

In all honesty, I wouldn't take away anything from the book. I liked everything about it. For me the story came as a lesson of struggle, faith, and will power. Drifting through the storm and battling ice-cold winds needed strong characters. The author developed them in a manner that I felt as if I knew them. To me they made sense. I really felt their pain all the way, as brothers or siblings would for each other.

There are tough situations that are not for the faint of heart though. Therefore, if you are afraid of death or near-death scenes, then please keep away from this one. After considering everything, I rate Adrift by Charlie Sheldon 4 out of 4 stars. Almost zero errors, perfect structuring, and uniquely engaging kind of writing require nothing less.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Beatus's review? Post a comment saying so!

Lunastella
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: Without a Trace
Bookshelf Size: 1189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Lunastella » 28 May 2019, 10:14

We will all face storms in our lives and will undoubtedly require strength, faith, and will power, as you mention. I like the fact that the characters are so well-developed that they made you feel invested to the point of feeling what they were experiencing. Frequently, character development is overlooked in adventure books, and I'm glad this is not the case.
Your enthusiasm for the book is contagious. Thank you!

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by maggi3 » 28 May 2019, 13:57

The vivid writing style of this book makes me want to pick it up. I also appreciate the good editing. I might try this one out soon. Thanks for the recommendation!

Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 113
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Shrabastee » 31 May 2019, 03:59

Thanks for the review,it is evident how much you enjoyed the book. I am all the more excited because this is the very next one on my TBR list. Can't wait to start reading!

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: No Rest for the Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 31 May 2019, 06:26

Sounds like a book that will keep me invested the whole time! I can't wait till I have a chance to read this one! Thanks for the review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 31 May 2019, 12:15

I started reading this book and found it quite interesting. Like you said, we must have adventures in our lives. Since books take readers along with the characters in their journeys, I think I can safely add this to my list as an adventure I had at sea. So, thanks a lot for your lovely review.

bavithra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra.html
Latest Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Post by bavithra » 31 May 2019, 21:00

Your review is very poetic . It is enjoyable to even read your review. You have a Very good writing style .kudos

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”