Review by jeminah28 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
jeminah28
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 280
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by jeminah28 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by jeminah28 » 11 May 2019, 08:35

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift is a sequel of Strong Heart written by Charlie Sheldon, it is a life-saving journey of the Seattle Express crew over the fire and terrible weather. Charlie Sheldon's Adrift will navigate us to the rough ocean during the winter time. The story can stand alone, and Sarah's vision quest will ignites the reader to read the previous book.

At sea, Seattle Express owned by Buckhorn's Company was on fire. Steve, the captain commanded to abandon the ship. There are about 20 people and divided into two lifeboats. Lifeboat one had 9 passengers, the captain, the three engineers, second mate, the wiper, the cook and assistant cook, and the reefer. The rest were in the second lifeboat namely, William, Charlie, Jack, Kirk, and Willie are sailors, Randall (third mate), Anne (first mate), Heather the steward, Jim the chief engineer and the two Russians cargo handlers, Oleg and Mattiew. The divided crew both lost contacts and assume each other dead in the sea. What will be their fate? Will the rescuer able to save them?

Warhorse belongs to the towing company of Larry and Louise. The company was suffering a financial problem. Their hope was to bring the Seattle Express on Sol Duc pier because it is a free claim for towing once abandoned. Will the Warhorse team able to do their business? Buckhorn's company had a towing ship, too.

On the mining issue, Myra, William's daughter is an archeologist fighting for the Olympic National Park, which is a historical site. It must be off for mining. Will their team won? Her father was among the crew of Buckhorn's ship. She is fighting for the Sol Duc tribe, but her heart was so worried. Later, she found strength among her family and friends and went to his father's home town in Haida Gwaii. Why?

I choose to read this book because the story focuses on navigating the sea. I enjoyed reading it, but it is also a heart-wrenching novel of problems occurring in the ocean. The author wrote it as if it were so real; the events have a very realistic setting. I never knew how to run a ship or a boat, but Charlie Sheldon looks like teaching me how to sail. A group of fishers, seafarers, sailors or a person who likes sea adventure can definitely relate to the story. I will recommend this book to them; they might not experience tremendous problems at sea, I know they can relate to the huge waves in this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is a good book about family, friendship, economy, business, history and trust. The author combined them all. What will you do when your town suffers an economic crisis? Will you leave or help your town? There are offers from a private sector to provide jobs, but it will ruin your town's historical site. What will you do to save your business? How could you search for someone in the middle of the ocean during the winter? Will you trust your mates to escape from death?

I've found this book helpful through the settings I mentioned above. Furthermore, I like the settings of the book, especially on the topic of preserving the Archeological site. I'm amazed by the legend and the vision quest of Sarah in the previous book. Somehow, I'm looking forward to reading the previous book as well as the next book if there is.

The book is well-written without misspelled words; the events were easy to grasp, too, because of the name display in each chapter that serves as a new scene. It is professionally edited, well-detailed of some historical events and the author's had a good sense of character development. Thus far, I like the character build-up that made it suitable for minor readers. However, I'm a bit disappointed about the mining issue because it was not yet clear and a bit hanging.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jeminah28's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reading never stops even if there is an ending."
_jem_

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Modern Times by Peter Morgan

Post by gen_g » 27 May 2019, 06:18

I'm glad that you enjoyed the book; it's also a positive that the book was well edited. Thanks for the review!

diana lowery
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Reckoning
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery » 27 May 2019, 07:45

I enjoyed your review. I see you are reading Gringo. I look forward to your review of that book as well.

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 28 May 2019, 01:24

Seems like there are problems in both water and land. Myra is the one affected from both. We'll see whether she can resolve the problems on land while she's worried about her father at the same time. So, thanks for your interesting review.

jeminah28

Post by jeminah28 » 03 Jun 2019, 00:11

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote:
28 May 2019, 01:24
Seems like there are problems in both water and land. Myra is the one affected from both. We'll see whether she can resolve the problems on land while she's worried about her father at the same time. So, thanks for your interesting review.
Exactly! Likewise, thanks for reading. I'm hoping for the next book if there is.
_jem_

jeminah28

Post by jeminah28 » 03 Jun 2019, 00:14

diana lowery wrote:
27 May 2019, 07:45
I enjoyed your review. I see you are reading Gringo. I look forward to your review of that book as well.
Thank you for reading my review; about Gringo, I'm not yet done summarizing his long list of places.
_jem_

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”