Official Review: Plum Rains on Happy House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
pricklypurple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: Plum Rains on Happy House by Michael A. Greco

Official Review: Plum Rains on Happy House

Post by pricklypurple » 10 May 2019, 16:17

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Plum Rains on Happy House" by Michael A. Greco.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Plum Rains on Happy House by Michael A. Greco is a novel about life in Japan told from the perspective of a foreigner. Ichiban, as he is later named, is invited to Japan by a mysterious man to live in the Happy House. This unsuspecting American takes the offer and decides to make the most of his time in the county, teaching English and learning Japanese in his spare time. What he doesn't realize is that the Happy House is more than just an inn. It is a living entity that is haunted by spirits and creatures and requires its inhabitants to make certain sacrifices to continue living behind its walls.

This book is both a portrayal of the different levels of culture shock a foreigner experiences when going abroad as well as a story of a motley group of characters all living under one roof. These characters try to coexist peacefully despite their many quirks. They even set out to do something great together by attempting to open their own language school.

I really enjoyed this book. It drew me in right away. I have visited numerous other countries in my life and could definitely relate to the main character's reactions to living among people of a different culture. There is such a wide array of colorful people in this story that I was intrigued from the beginning. It was both unique and surprising. Parts of the novel were told from the viewpoint of a crow. I found this to be different from traditional writing as well. The author seems to have taken his time to write something creative and unexpected.

My favorite part of this book was the introduction to Happy House and its inhabitants as the protagonist slowly met each one. Some parts were even laugh-out-loud funny. As the novel progressed, I did start to feel as if it became a bit too bizarre. What was original in the beginning started to seem a bit far fetched. I still enjoyed the book, and this didn't take away from it overall.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was an entertaining and original read. There were very few editing errors. I would recommend it to fans of travel literature and comedy novels. There were some scenes with explicit sexuality. So, I wouldn't recommend this novel for younger readers or those who are offended by writing of this nature. Otherwise, this was a unique, fresh reading experience and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another book by this author.

Plum Rains on Happy House
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like pricklypurple's review? Post a comment saying so!

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Rachel Lea » 12 May 2019, 07:54

The premise of Greco's Plum Rains on Happy House sounds quite interesting and unique. I am fascinated by Japanese culture so I think that I would enjoy this one quite a bit. Thanks so much for your review! (As a side, I loved how you used the word "motley" :))
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Meg98 » 12 May 2019, 10:37

This sounds like a very unique and interesting read on Japanese culture, from a different perspective than usual. I like the story you described, and your review has intrigued me.. I think I will check this book out! Thanks for your great, thorough review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Quickstudy
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy » 12 May 2019, 12:21

My interest in Japanese culture is constantly evolving. The far fetched and the bizzarre are the type of culture differences that intereste me. Your review has landed this book in my must reads.

TinyikoS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinyikos.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by TinyikoS » 12 May 2019, 16:26

I want to read this book..I love traveling and I think it will help understand some things.

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Potpourri, Don't Call it Poetry by Rosalyn Rita Nicholas

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 13 May 2019, 07:19

This book sounds quite humorous and unique. I like that it offers some insight to Japanese culture. This isn't the type of book I am interested in right now, so at the moment I will pass on it. Thank you for your thoughts on this one.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Eyes of Amber by Anna Stassiy

Post by Prisallen » 15 May 2019, 14:03

I do love to travel. So, if you combine that with the humor and quirky characters, it makes this a book that I intend to take a look at. Thanks for a wonderful review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Daredevils by Anne Greene

Post by kdstrack » 16 May 2019, 11:21

I would love to read about the author's perspective on culture shock. Thanks for the intriguing review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”