Review by August1959 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
August1959
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-august1959.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Review by August1959 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by August1959 » 09 May 2019, 20:45

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Title: ADRIFT
Author: CHARLIE SHELDON

Adrift tells the story of the power of the human spirit to wrestle against all odds to survive and to live with love, courage and determination. It revolved around the tragedy that happened in the Seattle Express when a fire broke out somewhere in its tunnel leading to the engine room while it was sailing in the rough seas off the Gulf of Alaska. It was a stormy December, and the terrible weather made it impossible for the crews to stop the fire. They were all skilled sailors but they were up against a brutal winter storm. Steve, the captain had to abandon ship to save his men. And so it was devastating for him when only eight of them were rescued soon after. The other lifeboat with 11 more crewmen lead by William, the senior sailor, was still adrift.

Meanwhile, when news of the burning ship reached the islands, Larry and Louise, owners and operators of the tugboat Warhorse, raced to salvage the vessel ahead of its owner the Buckhorn. Larry and Louise were going through rough times and salvaging the Seattle Express was an opportunity for them to save their floundering business. They knew the risks but they were not prepared for the tragedy that will befall them on this journey.

I found the chapters involving Larry and Louise so engaging. I am not familiar with their kind of livelihood so I researched on tugboat operations. The author, Mr. Charlie Sheldon, being an expert mariner, wonderfully shared his knowledge of life in the seas. The graphical presentations blended well with the touching portrayals of the love-hate relationship between these two characters. Theirs was a heartbreaking love story.

The book is told in the first and third person account of Steve and Myra, the central characters whose lives are intertwined by the sea tragedy. Scenes were suspenseful and action packed as the story of survival unfolds. I like the intensity presented in scenes from the rough seas and the wilderness. It is imaginative to the point that I felt like watching a movie. Furthermore, reading the book is truly an enriching experience because the author excellently explored other interesting facets of human relationships, from love, divorce, physical disabilities, business and finance, and cultural heritage.

The book has 63 chapters but it seemed that there is still a sequel. Each characters have their own interesting stories like that of Pete, Sarah, Travis and Anne. The author developed his characters that readers can empathize with because their struggles are true-to-life. I would really love to read more of them. Thus, the next novel will be highly anticipated.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars, it is well-written and edited and also very entertaining. I recommend this book to those who enjoy suspense, romance and adventure.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like August1959's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”