Review by IloveSpain01 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
IloveSpain01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovespain01.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by IloveSpain01 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by IloveSpain01 » 05 May 2019, 14:18

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift is a very captivating book from the very first sentence. It is an epic tale taken place on a ship’s voyage between Russia and the Pacific side of Canada. In a tragic accident, the crew must take a journey of survival. Charlie Sheldon crafts multiple perspectives of a rescue attempt and leaves you craving for more as the plot of the story continually crescendos. Desperation is expertly woven in with hope among all the characters of the story. Charlie Sheldon is an expert in putting you in the character’s shoes as if you were the character.

Adrift brings in many other elements that keep it fascinating. The use of nautical terms dispersed throughout the story does not distract from the story. Charlie Sheldon also is a wizard at leaving you at the edge of your seat and leaves you wondering what will happen next. One such incident of this was when the author cleverly wove in the perspective of William, one of the crewmen of the ship. I love how ingenious William is throughout the journey. He inspired the rest of the sailors not to lose hope of rescue.

Adrift brings in interpersonal drama with multiple characters and how they resolve conflict. Another favorite element is how Charlie Sheldon artistically brings in local tribal characters. It is as if there is a mini-history story within the main story. There is also the politics between the main company of Buckhorn, two of its employees Pete and Steve, and the employees family, especially Pete’s. This story leaves you continually cheering for the underdog.

I would give this book a 4 out of 4. What I liked the most about the book Adrift is how I am left consistently at the edge of my seat about what will happen next with the seafarers of Buckhorn and Warhorse. I am constantly left cheering for certain characters like Pete, Steve, and William. There wasn’t anything that I didn’t like. I would say that the only recommendation I have is the use of the ship terminology. I would either have a list of ship terminology at the beginning of the book or disperse the layman term on occasion instead of the nautical jargon. However, this was still expertly written.

I would recommend this book for anyone at the age of 11 and up, especially if they love the sea or epic stories. This story is extremely invigorating, captivating, and leaves you drawn into the story. It was very hard to put this book down and stop reading. Anyone who is not fond of stories of rescues, ships at sea, or people fighting for survival should read a different book. In conclusion, Adrift is a book worth reading and sharing with those around you.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like IloveSpain01's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”