Official Review: Finding Rosie by W B Edwards

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Undeparted by Timothy Watkinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Finding Rosie by W B Edwards

Post by MarisaRose » 04 May 2019, 10:38

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Rosie" by W B Edwards.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding Rosie by W.B. Edwards follows Paul Sutton, a young Californian, and his life during and after his Naval service in the Vietnam War from 1965 to 1973. The story is broken up into multiple parts, focusing on two main periods: Paul’s life in California two years after his return from the war, and Paul’s life as a Naval officer in the Philippines. Although set against the backdrop of the Vietnam War, rather than a typical war story, this book is a literary tale about one young man’s search for purpose and understanding.

Edwards cleverly uses an unchronological timeline to focus on the psychological subtleties of Paul, rather than on the day-to-day aspects of life as a soldier. This focus was expertly executed in the organization of the novel, which also aided in the development of Paul’s character. As a brief introduction, we first read about young Paul, a carefree surfer with his whole life ahead of him. The story then shifts to post-Vietnam: Paul is back home; drifting, mentally and physically, he is unsure of what he wants from life. His relationships are strained, and they leave Paul feeling unfulfilled. Next, an intimate portrait is painted of Paul’s service years. The narrative of this section exudes the excitement, longing, and camaraderie he experiences. This section also focuses on the development of his relationship with Rosie, a working girl. In the last section, at somewhat of a crossroads, Paul decides to take a big risk.

Beyond the expert manipulation of the timeline, symbolism is another element used masterfully throughout the narrative. Rosie, the title character, cleverly appears as a symbol for many things during the course of Paul’s story. Rosie doesn’t make an appearance until about halfway through the book. Rather, Rosie is presented as a constant theme, an ever present thought in the back of Paul’s mind. The idea of Rosie tied in nicely with Paul’s confusion about life post-Vietnam: Was Rosie simply a means to get through the most turbulent and unknown time of Paul’s life? Or was she really the one that got away? I thoroughly enjoyed the ambiguity of this character in the beginning of the novel. Leaving Rosie’s story to unfold later on, and only mentioning her in passing, added a touch of mystery to the already-engaging narrative.

However, there were some aspects of the novel that need improvement. For instance, I noted a slew of grammatical errors. While not overly distracting, these errors were apparent. Further, the narrative perspective was rather loose at times, oscillating unintentionally between the third-person perspective and Paul’s first-person perspective. On multiple occasions, the main character slips into paragraphs-long monologues. The author tried to cover this with a basic “he thought” added here and there. However, in these sections, the narrative felt confused, like Edwards wasn’t sure how to imbue Paul’s perspective without shifting to the first person.

This is the second book I’ve read by Edwards, and I was happy to see the author’s literary talent radiating from the pages again. Finding Rosie is a thoughtful, complex, and poignant tale that I highly recommend to readers who enjoy literary historical fiction, especially novels that focus on psychological aspects of life. Unfortunately, the lack of professional editing forces me to deduct one star from my rating. Therefore, Finding Rosie earns a strong 3 out of 4 stars.

Finding Rosie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 06 May 2019, 09:53

It takes a great writer to be able to write a memoir in something other than chronological order. If not done well, that can really sink a book. So, it's obvious that the author knows what they are doing. It's too bad about the editing issues, but that's so easy to fix. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Meg98 » 06 May 2019, 20:20

This sounds like a very interesting read. Such a shame about the editing... it really is noticeable and can disrupt the reader's experience very easily. I think I will however check this book out. Your review has intrigued me! Well done :)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Agnes098
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes098.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Agnes098 » 07 May 2019, 03:58

The big question I'm asking myself is ; will Paul really find his purpose and the understanding that he is seeking?

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requeim
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Living With Alzheimer’s: A Journey Observed by Leigh Smyth, MD

Post by kdstrack » 07 May 2019, 10:48

I like the author's use of Rosie in the story. The jumps in the timeline keep readers thinking and piecing the story together. This sounds intriguing, and I am impressed by your praise for the author's writing style.

kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: The Soles of Cyrus Eblis by Mark Macedonia

Post by kislany » 14 May 2019, 04:41

This sounds quite the interesting book. I've read and reviewed lately a host of historical fiction books, so I'm right in the groove with the genre, hah! If I see it on offer, I'll pick it up and try to ignore the editorial issues.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”