Review by ajmckillop -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ajmckillop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajmckillop.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Review by ajmckillop -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ajmckillop » 01 May 2019, 09:07

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I rate this book a 4 out of 4. It was one of the most captivating books that I have read in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is a story about a ship called the Seattle Express that catches fire and is abandoned by its crew. Per the maritime law of salvage, anyone who successfully rescues the ship will receive a reward equal to the value of the ship’s cargo. The story is told by the points of view of several characters: a salvor, a security guard, the ship’s captain, crew member William and William’s daughter Myra. Each person’s experience plays a pivotal role in the book, resulting in a suspenseful and scintillating web that all comes together in the end.

What did I like best about this book? Everything, really. I read it in just a few days because I couldn’t put it down. It is unpredictable and will keep you on the edge of your seat. Mr. Sheldon does an exemplary job of opening the story with an action scene from the captain’s point of view. Action scenes can be somewhat difficult to write but the author describes them with ease and clarity. The chapters connected each piece of the story quite well, and I enjoyed the challenge of weaving the characters together. I finished the book feeling as though I had just consumed a very delicious and satisfying meal.

There is nothing that I disliked about the book. There is a backstory referred to by several of the characters that is from a prequel book written by Charlie Sheldon called Strong Heart. Not having read it was not a hindrance to the story, but it wasn’t fully explained and I would like to know more about it so I have a full understanding of all events that occurred. This is the only place other readers might feel any confusion or seek clarifying questions. I will be reading Strong Heart after this.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves adventure, the Pacific Northwest, nautical themes or suspense novels. I would not limit the readers interests only to these topics, though, as I also feel it would appeal to a wide variety of readers regardless of their preferred genres. For example, I usually do not like adventure books full of action scenes, but I enjoyed this book to the fullest extent. Mr. Sheldon is a wonderful writer. There is nobody that I would specifically not recommend read this book.

There was only one grammatical error I noticed during my reading. Other than this, the book was well-edited and appeared professionally proofed. I liked the author's writing style. It drew me in and I read the book as if I was watching a movie. The descriptions and characters were excellent. I highly recommend this book.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ajmckillop's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”