Review by Anthony__ -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 220
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Review by Anthony__ -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Anthony__ » 26 Apr 2019, 20:56

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine a boat that floats on the water without being controlled by anyone because of a certain disaster. What fate awaits the crew in the boat? Charlie Sheldon took us through a similar situation in his book titled Adrift. In this case, it was a fire outbreak that overwhelmed the crew in the ship. Coupled with terrible weather, the ship was 100 miles (160.93 km) from the nearest land, southwest of the Queen Charlotte Island, which is too far for a helicopter rescue. All effort to stop the fire was to no avail. To survive, the crew members must abandon the ship as instructed by their captain, Steve. The survivors were aimlessly adrift (afloat on the surface of the water freely) in two lifeboats. They are waiting to die, or would there be a saviour to rescue them along the line?

Adrift is the second tale in the Strong Heart series. However, it is a stand-alone novel. The story line comprises 63 chapters packed with actions, suspense, adventures, and lots more. Charlie begins the story with a fire outbreak in the ship, Settle Express, sailing towards the North Pacific. As the crew abandon the ship and strives for their survival, Larry’s crew with their Warhorse ship are on the competition with Buckhorn’s tugs to rescue the abandoned ship. Whoever rescues the ship stands a chance of a substantial reward claim. Buckhorn being the owner of the ship needed to be the first to avoid a big claim. Whereas, Larry’s crew need the claim to stay back in business. Unknown to them what awaits them as they set off for a wild goose chase. Moreover, Pete, a new Buckhorn’s employee, awaits the arrival of the ship in few days to be tied-up at the doc.

Meanwhile, Steve and Williams (Myra's father) aboard two different lifeboats being heaved and tossed among the seas. And their relatives and friends are bothered not knowing what has happened to them out there. The story line encompasses certain areas of life: love, betrayer, risk, faith, hope, resilience, and joy at last.

Also, the plot contains many subplots alternating between the goose chase crew, the two lifeboats, and the people on the land. All of this made the story line unique and intriguing as the characters are delightfully tied-up. The unfolding suspense glued me to the pages. For instance, I was curious to know what happened to Williams towards the end of the story. My ideal characters are Steve and Williams. I admire their heroic courage and resilience in fighting the hopeless situation. Equally, Sarah’s sense of hope and empathy is admirable. She is an excellent comforter for Myra.

Furthermore, the book is well-edited. I only found one typographical error which did not disturb the flow of the story line. The only thing I did not like about the book was the unnecessary repetition of the abandoned ship story by Pete, Buckhorn’s boss, and Steve. Notwithstanding, I enjoyed the characters in the story line. There was no central character.

In conclusion, I admire Charlie’s creativity in crafting this tremendous story based on his 28 years of working experience for seaports as a project and construction manager. This book is action-packed. Therefore, I am rating Adrift 4 out of 4 stars. If you are looking for an adventure novel, then you must consider this book.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anthony__'s review? Post a comment saying so!

daviddawud
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daviddawud.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by daviddawud » 07 May 2019, 23:23

Wow! this must be an intriguing book to peruse. I would specifically love to know what happened to the crew and if they were ever able to make it to Queen Charlotte Island. Thank you for providing a detailed and an interesting review of this book.

Itskai88
2019 Reading Goal: 61
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 » 08 May 2019, 06:38

Such a detailed review for a captivating book, can’t wait to check it out. Thank you.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Reflection by Titan Frey

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 08 May 2019, 08:07

Great review for an equally great book! I really enjoyed reading Adrift.

Delaney35
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Currently Reading: Larkin's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Pandora's Eyes by James M. Corkill

Post by Delaney35 » 08 May 2019, 08:39

I also enjoyed this book a lot. The characters were very well-written. Great review!

Helena91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Helena91 » 09 May 2019, 03:19

I can tell from your review that 'Adift' is action packed. I love adventurous novels and i'm looking forward to reading this one. Nice review!

Janalyn101
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Janalyn101 » 10 May 2019, 07:51

I read the book A Drift and I found this review to be a perfect description of the plot. Anthony explains it well and explains it all this was a great review. Are usually don’t like books and a cerise but I am finding more and more reading books in this review book club why people like them. Because of this book and one more I am now reading to Siri‘s. This was a great review thanks Anthony! :tiphat:

Nadine Forsberg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Nadine Forsberg » 10 May 2019, 08:05

It doesn't sound like the type of book I would read, but it does sound like it was written really good.
Thank you for the great review!

Carrison kirwa
2019 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Carrison kirwa » 16 May 2019, 03:10

a nice beginning which say that imagine a boat float with out some controlling . so nice 😍 Adrift so good

Terachec-k
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Terachec-k » 16 May 2019, 05:53

Great review Anthony. I love the opening and the fact that you told us so much to interest, while leaving so much unsaid to intrigue.
I'm definitely checking out "Adrift"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”