Review by Ronel_Steyn -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Review by Ronel_Steyn -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Man Mission Charter is simple and to the point: Men Only, Travel Under Your Own Power, Bathing Optional, He Who Whines Loudest Wears the Pink Bracelet. These are but a few of the rules. In "Man Mission”, Eytan Uliel takes the reader on an epic adventure of discovery and growth. Spanning over a period of fifteen years, four friends take an annual trip to remote and exotic destinations. A break from the pressures of work and family, an escape from the expectations of society to just feel like men. A release from the continuous juggling between life and work.

Written in the first person, the reader is privy to the character’s personal thoughts, feelings, observations and perspectives. From dating to marriage, parenthood and even divorce, this book is filled with insights on very important male issues.

“Men need their rituals to feel complete.”

I found myself tearing through the pages, eager for the revelation of the next destination. Locations are described with a tantalising and precise knowledge that allow the reader to be wholly immersed into each setting. Between each chapter or “mission”, there is a quotation as well as a scripture relevant to the essence of a man. These bound the chapters together and yet they were each unique. At the end of each chapter, the vital statistics of the mission was listed. To me this signified the growth of the characters as well as their awareness of this growth. The excursion to South Africa was a genuine highlight as well as the final mission to Iceland. The anticipation of the aurora borealis was the perfect climatic end.

“After a while, whatever you do in life becomes normal. I chose this life, and so this is normal for me. You have a different life, and so that is normal for you. We are all made of our experiences.”

With a wonderful combination of comedy, valuable insight and fast paced adventure, I have no reason not to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. With only 2 tiny errors in grammar, which by no means detracts from the overall rhythm or flow of the story, I have to admit that Eytan Uliel has delivered in every way possible.

“And that means I’ll never be the child again. Just like that, poof – I’m the grown-up now.”

I would, with great relish, recommend this book to both men and women. It does contain some adult content. For this reason, if you are easily offended by a bit of swearing, I would suggest skipping this one.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Ronel_Steyn's review? Post a comment saying so!

Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

The ability to touch the reviewer emotionally piqued my interest in this novel. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”