Review by Leyla -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Leyla
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 29
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Leyla -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Leyla » 22 Apr 2019, 16:51

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fantastic, amazing, endearing, captivating, thrilling! These are just a few words I could think of to describe Adrift by Charlie Sheldon. This riveting story is about several persons with different background ending up crossing paths at one point or another after a 700-foot container ship called the Seattle Express, owned by a business tycoon called Buckhorn caught on fire and later abandoned. There were 12 crew members. Then there was the daughter of the First Mate of the Seattle Express. There was also the employees of Warehorse, a tug ship. A Buckhorn security guard, his son, his ex-wife and her new husband

This book was well thought out. The plot nicely put together. I only hated the ending as I yearn to know what happens next. A great way for Sheldon to keep readers interested in the series, the first of which is Strong Heart.

Goosebumps covered my skin as I read chapter after chapter. Suspense rising every minute as my imagination ran wild with the awesome descriptive writing used by Sheldon. This was truly a book about survival of the fittest.

Adrift starts on the Seattle Express,when smoke is seen, but no fire is visible on the panel. After properly examining the ship and trying to fend off a fire which did not seem to be dying, the Captain gives the order to evacuate ship. The team was separated into two. You could feel every emotion, every pain, as Sheldon described the weather and the situation that they were in.

On the other hand was Warhorse, a tug trying to survive in an economy that is being taken over by a vicious business tycoon. They see an opportunity and go for it, not knowing what the outcome would be. While risking their lives to earn a living, a crew member is injured, on dead ship in bad weather far out at sea.

Myra, the daughter of the First Mate, and an Archeologist believes her father is still alive despite the weather condition and the length of time he has been missing. Sheldon uses Myra, William and Sarah to infuse a little Island culture into the book. It wasn't too much as it added interest to the stories told by William and added to the mystery behind Sarah and her past.

I believe Adrift will be a good read for teenagers, young adults and anyone who loves a good book. Keep in mind there were a few scenes that were a little graphic and may be a little too much some readers. I rate Adrift 4 out of 4 stars for the wonderfully written plot, the great use of descriptive writing and the good editing although I came across two errors. Buckle up and enjoy the ride as Sheldon takes you to a place full of adventure and survival.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Leyla's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”