Review by melel_jo -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melel_jo
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 130
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melel-jo.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Review by melel_jo -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by melel_jo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission, by Eytan Uliel, is a piece of personal fiction detailing the annual, week-long trips a group of four college friends take together. These trips - or man missions - deliver the group to far reaches of the globe, via hiking, biking, and kayaking. Though the man missions start out as a way of escaping the daily grind, they soon turn into a space for growth and healing. As the friends try to navigate marriage, fatherhood, divorce, and loss, the trips become a way of reconnecting with themselves, their manhood, and each other.

The brainchild of Uliel and his friend Sam, the man mission started with few rules: men only, go beyond your limits, and bathing is optional. During the course of their travels, they come face-to-face with a lion in Africa, catch a ride with drug dealers in New Zealand, go ice climbing in Iceland, and cross the Japanese Alps on mountain bikes. As the trips evolve, the men establish new traditions, such as the ever-growing “Relationship Handbook,” a pink bracelet worn by “he who whines the loudest,” and an end-of-trip celebratory steak dinner.

A professional travel writer, Uliel smoothly chronicles fifteen years of man missions, detailing the grueling physical feats, the exotic foods, and the unusual cast of characters the men encounter along the way. Man Mission is more than your average adventure novel. It ponders the importance of introspection and growth, and the friends who stay by your side through it all. Uliel reminds us that it is okay to make mistakes or feel lost - and it is never too late to try again.

What I liked most was the honesty Uliel approached his story with. He did not stray away from difficult topics or personal shortcomings, even if it cast his character in a bad light. The novel would not have been as successful if he had tried to sugarcoat the group’s attitudes or actions. All of his characters were well fleshed out; it was easy to see a little part of myself in each one. I also enjoyed the recap at the end of each trip, humorously summarizing the gains and losses of each mission.

There was nothing about this novel I disliked. There were a few times I disagreed with Uliel’s ideology, but those moments did not detract from my overall enjoyment. Even the occasional grammatical error or choppy sentence were easily overlooked. For these reasons, I rate this novel four out of four stars.

I would recommend Man Mission to men of any age, especially those in the middle of major life events. Even those who do not identify as a man would enjoy this read, but perhaps not until they have reached young adulthood.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like melel_jo's review? Post a comment saying so!
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.” ― A Game of Thrones

wendilou49
2019 Reading Goal: 75
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

Good,catchy review. This sounds like a fun read for anyone who likes to read about friendships and how they evolve over the years. I recently read "The Reel Sisters", a book in the same vein as this. Read to enjoy!

Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Head Waggling in Delhi
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: Fragile body and the world around me by D. Green

Post by Laura Lee »

Great review! I especially agree with this paragraph: "What I liked most was the honesty Uliel approached his story with. He did not stray away from difficult topics or personal shortcomings, even if it cast his character in a bad light. The novel would not have been as successful if he had tried to sugarcoat the group’s attitudes or actions. All of his characters were well fleshed out; it was easy to see a little part of myself in each one. I also enjoyed the recap at the end of each trip, humorously summarizing the gains and losses of each mission." That's very well said. Thanks for a fun review. I enjoyed reading it.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”