Review by abithacker -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
abithacker
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 46
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abithacker.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Review by abithacker -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by abithacker » 17 Apr 2019, 10:17

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is a story of survival. The cargo ship Express catches fire while sailing through an icy ocean. As her crew scrambles desperately to save her they realize that they must abandon or die. Separated and unable to communicate, the crew sails in two different life boats, able only to hope for rescue against the forgiving cold and deadly rocky shores. Across the ocean, Louise struggles to save her tugboat business as well as her marriage. When the call comes in of an abandon ship she jumps at the chance of income. All too soon, she and her crew realize that an unforgiving sea isn’t the only challenge they will have to overcome…

I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. I gave Adrift 4 out of 4 starts because it was well-edited, and the story was clear and flowed well. There were a few grammatical mistakes, but they were minor and scarce. The story line was easy to follow, even as it jumped between a couple different narratives. The ending of the book brought all of the narratives together and brought a sense of completion.

My favorite part of the book was the vivid language and sense of realism. The plight of the crew lost at sea and the crew searching for the burned boat is written with a sense of urgency that draws the reader in. Though I am unfamiliar with many of the terms used for ship work I was able to create a picture in my mind of what was going on. The author does a great job of writing in such a way that allows the reader to get a glimpse of every aspect of a scene. The cold air, the cold water, the emotions and despair of the crew, the smell of the boat, each of these elements combine into a compelling picture.

My least-favorite part of the book was a minor loose end. In the book, the cause of the fire that forced the decision to abandon ship is never explained. This wouldn’t be a problem if certain passages didn’t hint that the cause of the fire was not innocent. Those hints created an expectation for the explanation of the fire, which was never satisfied. Though the book’s story arch was completed, it ended in such a way that could allow another book, which is a possible reason why the cause of the fire is never resolved.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys suspenseful dramas. The information in this book is complicated enough to require a slightly higher level of reading, and I would recommend this book to teens and up. This book does have a small amount of crude language.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like abithacker's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" ~Albert Einstein

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”