Review by Choine -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Choine
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: Eldest
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: 1400699894

Review by Choine -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Choine » 11 Apr 2019, 16:00

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Captain Steve has awoken to smoke engulfing his ship. A fire rages in the engine room of the Seattle Express as her crew members scramble to extinguish it. It doesn’t take long for those aboard to realize there is little hope for the vessel. The captain has only one choice as the flames continue to spread: save those remaining on the ship. The crew retreats to two lifeboats, their fate uncertain as they battle the harsh December storms.

Larry and Louise awaken early in the morning to an intercepted message on their receiver about an abandoned ship. The couple’s tugboat company is struggling and on the verge of bankruptcy. After considering their financial situation, they decide to go after the abandoned ship. Their objective is not to save the ship but to tow it to a dock and claim their share.

Within the first few pages of Adrift by Charlie Sheldon, the reader is thrust into the fiery chaos aboard the Seattle Express. Sheldon spares no detail as he describes the horror aboard the ship. This can be said for other situations, such as when the characters are aboard Larry and Louise’s tugboat, Warhorse. As Captain Steve and his crew retreat to the lifeboats, the reader understands the severity of their situation. Sheldon describes the storms in gruesome detail as the lifeboats are battered by the waves. He continues to give flawless updates regarding the awful conditions inside the lifeboats.

Most of the detail in this book describes the technical aspects of the ship and the duties of the tugboat employees. I often had to look up various terms as I read each chapter. There is so much information about boats in this book that my research became tedious. After a while, it became difficult for me to keep up with the characters as they completed their various tasks. If you are not a boat enthusiast, I would not recommend this book. This journey is well-written for those who are passionate about the sea and its unpredictable aspects.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Even though it was difficult for me to understand the mechanics of a ship, I could still appreciate the beautifully written experiences of each character. Each sentence flows smoothly into the next to create this page-turning tale. I found a few grammatical errors in this book, but they did not distract me from the author’s exceptional writing techniques.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Choine's review? Post a comment saying so!

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 19 Apr 2019, 08:19

This book is really awesome and fills its readers with a bundle of information about marine adventures. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Battlecraft VR by Linden Storm
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 20 Apr 2019, 14:10

I reviewed this one a while ago, and also really enjoyed the writing and characters. I'm glad you liked it as well!

BuzzingQuill
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by BuzzingQuill » 30 Apr 2019, 04:27

Great review! Not one for ship jargon myself, I still was able to understand and feel exactly what I needed to in the moment and that’s a testament to Sheldon’s writing ability

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Love's The Only House by Debra Godsee

Post by Kibetious » 03 May 2019, 05:09

It is true that sea voyage terms were somehow many and complicated. However, it is true that the book was fascinating. Thanks for the enthralling review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requeim
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Living With Alzheimer’s: A Journey Observed by Leigh Smyth, MD

Post by kdstrack » 06 May 2019, 11:54

I read this book, and I wholly agree with your high praise for the author's descriptive sections throughout the book. The technical boating terms did seem overwhelming at times. Thanks for your detailed and insightful review of this book.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Three Graves by Zack Kaplan

Post by Prisallen » 06 May 2019, 14:10

I read this book as well and enjoyed it. I did not read the first book, and I think I would not have had as much trouble remembering the many characters if I had. Thank you for a wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”