Review by Popcorn1 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Popcorn1 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Popcorn1 » 08 Apr 2019, 07:17

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift for many days with limited supply of food and water in a bitter cold weather and found alive, the miracle of faith.

During the cold December weather, the Seattle Express manned by Captain Steve caught fire and they had to abandon ship. This news caught the attention of Louise and Larry and also the big competition, the Buckhorn Corporation. Louise and Larry gathered up a crew very early that morning and fired up the old tug, Warhorse, to head out to sea and salvage the burning ship.

Meanwhile in the open sea, the crew in the lifeboats await their fate. The lifeboat with the captain in it was found a few days later and was brought ashore. However, the coastguard search and rescue team still did not find the other lifeboat. William had never thought that he would once again set foot in his hometown in this manner when their lifeboat was tossed to the jagged shores of Haida Gwaii.

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is the first book in his series. Charlie portrayed situations which involve faith, the many workings of faith in everyday life. The scenario that had the most impact on me is the one with Sarah, Myra and William. During their traditional prayer, Myra and Sarah once again saw the short bear, the same bear that they saw during last summer. In a vision, Myra saw her father standing in a slope with a head full of black hair. Her father said to her, “I am here. I will be here until you find me.” With this vision, Myra believed that her father is already in the spirit world but Sarah still believes that William is alive waiting for them to find him.

When they found William nearly two weeks, he appeared to be dead. Seeing this Myra said that they will bury him on that location, however Sarah refused to believe that William is dead. When Sarah leaned in to Williams chest to check for a heartbeat, she heard Williams heart beating. With Sergei’s confirmation of a pulse, Myra finally believes that her father is still alive. The optimism that Sarah has coupled with her faith of steel as Myra described it is impeccable.

Charlie also portrayed the the unity of family and friends, also the tribe, during times of uncertainty. Friends and family of Myra sat vigil when William’s is still missing and his safety is unknown. He also described the behavior of some people when they are in a situation where they are stranded in a coast and they have to survive in a bitter cold weather with limited supply of food and water.

There are many characters that I can relate to the word “adrift” in a literal sense and in a deeper meaning. Charlie’s style of writing is compelling and heart felt. The words carry an emotion that tugs at your soul. It makes you think and imagine of the possibilities of what will happen next. The book is also exceptionally edited. This book deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those who love to read other fiction genre and also to those who love a story set in the sea.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Popcorn1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”