Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 24
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The stories of Man Mission are a big part of my life. They are a big part of my friends and their families too. It's an infinite multitude of stories that intertwine, overlap, and make us all a part of each other. Seated silently: I watch Alec and Sam talking animatedly with my parents, Sarah, Pamela, and Evie arranging lunch with Natalia, Daniel and the boys trying to fix the barbecue stand, and the girls chatting away. These treasured moments took me back to the day I met Sam. Alec and Daniel, my friends since kindergarten, were sobering themselves when Sam volunteered to go to the Food Fair. I was a judgmental ass when I finally found someone who understood me. Looking back, it's interesting how my outlandish fantasy brought us this far. For the past fifteen years, we had our annual getaways to cast off the realities in life and do something hard and physical, outside of our comfort zone. We camped and lived rough, played and laughed, didn’t wash or shave, and ate lots of steak. The magic of Man Mission is that in doing these things, allowing myself to behave like a little boy, I have gone my way to learn what it means to be a man.

Eytan Uliel brings four different personalities together under a common interest: Man Mission. A 362 pages read that explores 15 Man Mission episodes held in different countries. It comprises a detailed map illustration about their explorations, a Man Mission charter, an epilogue titled, Home, and 15 chapters divided into 3 parts: Beginning, Middle, and End. Written in the first person's perspective, this is ideal for readers interested in action-packed, comical, and philosophical reads.

The environmental setting takes us to different countries: New Zealand, Japan, Australia, Fiji, Spain, Thailand, South Korea, Hawaii, South Africa, Iceland, Vietnam, Peru, and Taiwan. This is a masculine read with a prime focus toward a male's perspective about life, responsibilities, family, work, and leisure. Man Mission activities involve hiking, cycling, kayaking, trekking, and paddling. The List of Contents provide the locations to the 15 Man Mission episodes that took place across 15 years.

This isn't a gender bias read which anyone can enjoy. It provides a commendable 360 outlook from a male's perspective. The structure was very descriptive and detailed maintaining an easy flow. Uliel used a casual dialog tone, and colloquial language exposing a relatable feeling to his readers. Every chapter was an adventurous page-turner providing vital statistics after concluding each journey. The main plot entwined with a subplot provides an inside out exposure about its characters' personal lives. There were humorous and disturbing moments which sensitive readers should be aware of, such as: committing euthanasia and bull piercing.

It's evident that Uliel was comfortable with his work. He provided a wider access to cultural diversity which was delightful. Leaving me excited and anticipated, the protagonist, Charlie Brown, was anonymous till the end of third chapter. Charlie is a nerdier, bookish character while Alec, a ladies-man, is a carefree type of guy. Daniel, an organizing machine who's responsible and reliable while Sam is a smart and erudite kind of guy. Uliel provides a multi-dimensional, step-by-step, view on their personality development as graduates, employees, husbands, fathers, and middle-aged men. They were characters with flaws making them realistic and relatable.

It was insightful, and at times comical, to understand the role of a new husband, and a father handling unfamiliar situations. Readers can experience an emotional love-hate relationship with this book. I like the realistic touch which readers can lively experience. Statements that kick the reality of life are a common aspect throughout this read, such as:
...personal freedom, the price to be paid for material security. Sacrifice in the name of family and career had become a new reality for all of us.(Chap 7, p.150).
Being a prime witness throughout Charlie's life helped me to view and understand from a man's perspective, offering me an unique experience. This is a debatable plot which highly deserves 4 out of 4 stars.

As a tired, middle-aged man I realized, for now, I’m happy. I’ve traveled a long way to be here, and my mission today is simple: to live in the present moment, enjoying happiness with my loved ones. Right here, now, my story has a happy ending: a satisfying ending.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

unamilagra
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Golden Cord of Arram by Walt Runkis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I read this one a while back and absolutely loved it. I think it's the only book I've actually given 4 stars so far. I just loved the adventure, humor, and poignant philosophizing about life. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well.

Sahani Nimandra

unamilagra wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 15:45
I read this one a while back and absolutely loved it. I think it's the only book I've actually given 4 stars so far. I just loved the adventure, humor, and poignant philosophizing about life. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well.
Thank you! It truly was an adventure in itself. I really like the unfamiliar exposure on a man's perspective and their mind set. Evident. Effective. :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Yet I Still Stand by Steven Wayne

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like such an adventure! I'm glad you enjoyed the book, since it seems both fun and informative. Thanks for the review!

Lunastella
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: Clean Eating
Bookshelf Size: 1695
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: The Man in the Corner by Jerry a wilkinson

Post by Lunastella »

I tend to gravitate towards books with female protagonists, so it will be a very interesting change to read a book focused on the man's perspective, especially from different cultures.
As always a very interesting review, thank you, Sahani.

Sahani Nimandra

gen_g wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 09:56
This sounds like such an adventure! I'm glad you enjoyed the book, since it seems both fun and informative. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for stopping by! You should try it! :tiphat:

Sahani Nimandra

Lunastella wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 10:49
I tend to gravitate towards books with female protagonists, so it will be a very interesting change to read a book focused on the man's perspective, especially from different cultures.
As always a very interesting review, thank you, Sahani.
Oh, yes, it was refreshing and a unique experience. Thank you for stopping by Andrea!

Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 143
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shrabastee »

It would be really interesting to know a man's view of life. A completely different perspective,or maybe not so different...who knows? Well, I will definitely try this one. Thanks for the review,Sahani.

Sahani Nimandra

Shrabastee wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 05:31
It would be really interesting to know a man's view of life. A completely different perspective,or maybe not so different...who knows? Well, I will definitely try this one. Thanks for the review,Sahani.
It sure was: 4 different characters, 4 different perspective. Thank you for stopping by!

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: His Betrayals by Jerry Payne

Post by Cotwani »

to live in the present moment, enjoying happiness with my loved ones
Simple but powerful. Most of us ignore this truth in pursuit of other things, but life always brings us back - full circle.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Sahani Nimandra

Cotwani wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 17:24
to live in the present moment, enjoying happiness with my loved ones
Simple but powerful. Most of us ignore this truth in pursuit of other things, but life always brings us back - full circle.
It truly was inspiring, even better from a male's perspective. Thank you for stopping by!

Kajori50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: The Cage...a human trafficking thriller by Marion Scherer

Post by Kajori50 »

An adventurous read from a male's perspective seems interesting.

Thank you for the great review.

Sahani Nimandra

Kajori50 wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 14:03
An adventurous read from a male's perspective seems interesting.

Thank you for the great review.
Thank you for stopping by!

Espie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Whisper In MY Ear
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Wow! This piece makes world travel nearer to utter possibility. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Mr Benji
2019 Reading Goal: 59
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Mr Benji »

A beautiful book about places is welcome read. It's great learning about characters such as "Alec and Sam."

Thank you for the review.
Books are lovely.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”