Official Review: The Medallion by Priscilla B Shuler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: Sinister Summer: Cars, Cruisers, and Close Calls by C.A. Hartnell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Medallion by Priscilla B Shuler

Post by MarisaRose » 05 Apr 2019, 14:52

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Medallion" by Priscilla B Shuler.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set during the 1800s, The Medallion by Priscilla B. Shuler tells the fictional story of Teresa, a seemingly common girl whose mother, Gretchen, holds a dark secret about the past. Teresa works as a lowly maid at Covington Court, where Lord Harry has taken ill. When Teresa is called upon to take care of the ailing lord, she helps coax Lord Harry back to life with the help of her mother, who is known for her healing abilities. Everything changes for the young maid when the newly-revived Lord Harry takes an interest in Teresa and Gretchen finally reveals her long-kept secret.

The basic outline for the story contained in The Medallion has a lot of potential. Teresa and Gretchen could be engaging characters: outcasts of a sort, made even more intriguing by the secret that shrouds their past. Further, the author does a great job of creating intricate familial lines, which tends to be a necessity when it comes to historical fiction set during this period. The plot is expertly set up to ensure the secret of Teresa’s heritage and her connections to Lord Harry and her mother could lead to some explosive revelations.

Unfortunately, although the basis for a good story exists within the pages of The Medallion, the majority of the narrative fails to elicit excitement. There is a debilitating lack of tension when it comes to the dramatic elements of this story. For instance, at one point, a terrifying character from Gretchen’s past crosses paths with Lord Harry and Teresa; this character had the potential to cause great harm to Teresa in particular. However, other than a brief sighting and a poorly explained resolution taking place on the night of Teresa’s debut, this allegedly troublesome character is glossed over.

Similarly, none of the characters are given adequate attention. This is especially true when it comes to the secondary characters. These characters appear at random, and the author always provides some introduction to explain their sudden appearance. This proved to be both unrealistic and a distraction from the storytelling. None of the secondary characters were seamlessly integrated into the plot. Moreover, the main characters, especially Lord Harry and Teresa, are one-dimensional at best. Both characters are mere outlines of a person, and both fail to grow throughout the course of the novel. Neither character has a completely developed persona; Lord Harry is perfectly nice, and Teresa is perfectly sweet.

The Medallion did not live up to the great potential that lives within the intricately thought-out story arc the author created. There is so much potential for an engaging family saga in The Medallion, but the lack of tension in the storytelling and the painfully flat characters made it difficult to become attached to this story. Readers who are looking for a quick and easy jaunt into the 1800s and the world of lords and ladies might enjoy this historical fiction. However, readers who enjoy intricate details, vivid characters, and thorough storytelling will be disappointed. Therefore, I rate The Medallion 2 out of 4 stars.

The Medallion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 10 Apr 2019, 06:05

I love historical fiction. If this story lived up to its potential, it would be one for me. Thanks for the very clear reasoning for your rating. Great review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Apr 2019, 08:23

I do love your summary of the story. It's just too bad that it doesn't quite live up to its potential. Hopefully the author can revise it a bit and make it truly great. I don't like when there's no tension in a story; everything just falls flat. Thanks for the information, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by 8amaseter » 10 Apr 2019, 09:54

Some stories end in suspence, making the reader to conclude it with his/her immangination. From the review, the main characters could not connect well towards the end of the book. It is still a good story to read.

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Watch Her Shine by Deborah Henry

Post by gen_g » 10 Apr 2019, 10:28

Oh man, it seems like world building trumped character development in this one. Still, the premise sounds really exciting (despite the lack of tension as you mentioned); I hope the author takes your suggestions to heart. I'll be giving this a pass for now. Thanks for the excellent review!

Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 » 10 Apr 2019, 10:44

Oh this sounded so promising! I love stories like this, but will probably pass. Thanks for the honest review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Orope the white snake
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955 by C.A. Hartnell

Post by kdstrack » 10 Apr 2019, 15:35

The lack of character development, including the antagonist, would detract from the story. I enjoy historical fiction but will have to pass on this one. Thanks for your review of this book.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: Crimson and Clover
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Smitty's Calling Card by B.R. Stateham

Post by Prisallen » 14 Apr 2019, 11:25

When I started reading your review, I thought this is going to be a book I will love to read. After reading about the character development and lack of excitement, I think I am going to pass on it. It's a shame though, because it sounded like a wonderful plot. Good review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”