Review by chiefsimplex -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
chiefsimplex
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Review by chiefsimplex -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by chiefsimplex » 03 Apr 2019, 13:36

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The author narrates the unnerving experience of Captain Travis and his crew as catastrophe strikes at the sea. One ordinary day, the Captain finds himself having to abandon his ship, the Seattle Express. An inferno threatens to scorch them before the sea embraces them into quick oblivion. The inevitable decision to abandon ship wrenches at the captain’s heart, as it greatly injures his image, leaving a dent on his reputation and his career.

The narrative dramatically shifts to yet another scenario. Larry is in difficult financial straits when the news of the sinking ship reaches him. He quickly mobilises his crew .Larry hopes to locate the burning ship, tow it in order to lay claim, and probably salvage his economic situation and ailing marriage as well.

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is an action packed tale of tragedy. The author keeps the reader engaged right from the onset. As the author concisely details the technicalities of handling a sinking ship and a restless marooned crew, the reader can easily grasp the urgency of the moment. At the same time, the reader wonders at the opportunist nature of humanity in face of others’ tragedy. It is also fascinating to note how the characters could afford to entertain depraved thoughts in spite of the impending disaster.

The story flows smoothly from one page to the next, provoking and sustaining curiosity throughout. I particularly enjoyed the twist of events surrounding Larry and Louise’s relationship. The news of the sinking ship appears to be a reprieve to their looming divorce. At this point, I could not help, but think that the future of Larry’s relationship would probably depend on the outcome of the ship rescue mission.

The story is very informative, with maps marking the locations of important events. The author seamlessly weaves two separate stories, aptly using cliff-hangers to keep the reader on the edge. As one story reached climax, the author would shift attention to events in the other story. The appropriate application of metaphors added depth to the plot. The unidentified bird trapped in the lifeboat supposedly signified the sailors’ horrific fate and compounded the gloominess of the situation.

I also admired William’s strong character. His forty years of sailing evidently cultivated his astute personality .His remarkable composure in face of grave danger points to his refined crisis management skills. His elegance averted the eruption of an irrepressible chaos from his crew.

While I considered the gruesome detail of the sailors’ travails on the lifeboats a bit disconcerting, I also found them psychologically invigorating. The editing was superb and I did not find any error. I rate Adrift 4 out of 4 stars and recommend the book to fans of sea adventure and crisis stories.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like chiefsimplex's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa

Delaney35
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Currently Reading: Larkin's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Pandora's Eyes by James M. Corkill

Post by Delaney35 » 09 Apr 2019, 13:36

I'm currently reading this one and it's very good so far! The detail is enough to keep me informed but it's not overwhelming. I do agree that the shifts in perspective keep it engaging and suspensful. Great review!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Three Graves by Zack Kaplan

Post by Prisallen » 09 Apr 2019, 14:10

I loved this story, as well. There is a lot going on in this book, and the author handled it well. Good review!

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Battlecraft VR by Linden Storm
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 09 Apr 2019, 18:05

I just finished this one and I agree with your assessment of his engaging writing style. Great review!

Choine
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: Eldest
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine » 10 Apr 2019, 19:40

Thank you for the review. I agree that it's a book worth reading for those who love sea voyages and survival stories. I didn't care for this book as I'm not a fan of tales from the sea, but I love the detail the author puts into this book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”