Official Review: All the Little Children Need to Come Home

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
anneloretrujillo
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 35
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 85
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anneloretrujillo.html
Latest Review: I saw a starburst to flames by J.R. LaMar

Official Review: All the Little Children Need to Come Home

Post by anneloretrujillo » 02 Apr 2019, 10:27

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All the Little Children Need to Come Home" by CA Coder.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All the Little Children Need to Come Home by C.A. Coder offers a unique take on Heaven and its angels. Todd unexpectedly dies in his sleep one night and is found by his mom the next morning. He watches from above as the scene unfolds. He sees his mom hug him hoping it isn’t true and sees the paramedics come to the scene and take over. He is observing all of this from up in Heaven. The Scribe helps him adjust with his own sudden death and gives him a task. Todd’s job up in Heaven is to teach all of the little angels about his family. Many of them didn’t get a whole lot of love back on Earth; they were often neglected or abused. The Scribe wants Todd to teach them about the love of his family so they know it isn’t always bad. Todd does such a good job that all the little angels head to Earth to be a part of Todd’s family. Can they get the angels back to Heaven before anyone notices?

This book is light and quick to read while still touching on serious topics. Death can be a really difficult topic to read about, but the story isn’t overly bogged down by Todd’s death. Seeing him in Heaven makes it not seem so sad. The topic of alcoholism is also big in this book; several of the characters struggle with the disease. The humor used throughout the book lightens the mood and makes it easier to get through the difficult parts. I really loved the way the author took such dark subjects and made them easier to read about without ever making it seem like these aren’t serious topics.

Overall, the writing style of this book is excellent. The book flows well and it kept me interested the entire time. I wanted to know what would happen next. The author did this by creating a strong plot that has a clear build, climax, and resolution. I also enjoyed the way the author wrote the book so that it is centered around Heaven without it being overly religious. Books like this often tend to take on a “preachy” feel. I loved that this book doesn’t do that. It lets you make your own conclusions without ever telling you how you should feel.

My one complaint with this book is that it seems as if this book had not been edited prior to publishing. The book is riddled with formatting errors, extra spaces, and repeated phrases. Most of these errors are pretty minor, but there are a couple that detracted from my understanding of the story. I would definitely suggest that the author have this book professionally edited.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the story, humor, and writing style. My only real complaint was with the editing of the book. Because of this, I had to take off a star. If you can look past the errors, I would suggest this book for anyone who enjoys reading books with unique twists on the idea of Heaven. Even though this book isn’t super graphic, I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone that might be triggered by death, child abuse, or alcoholism.

All the Little Children Need to Come Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 10 Apr 2019, 06:44

This sounds like a well-written story with a unique premise. Editing mistakes can be fixed easily enough. I hope the author has a chance to get that corrected. Thanks for a great review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Apr 2019, 07:37

It's too bad this one isn't edited well. It sounds like an important book, but yet I can't help but think it'd be emotional (even if it is told in a light-hearted way). I don't think this is for me, but I did enjoy your review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by 8amaseter » 10 Apr 2019, 10:37

Your review has made the book interesting. Death is scary but the author made attempts to make it look normal and rewarding. I stand by your recommendation.

Cshemper
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cshemper.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by Cshemper » 10 Apr 2019, 21:28

This sounds like a fantastic book. It is unfortunate that the author did not have it edited. I am willing to look past that and give this book a try. Thank you for your review.

Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Janelle Juncos » 13 Apr 2019, 07:43

As a mother, that opening scene seems heart-wrenching. I wouldn't think of reading it if you hadn't mentioned that the story is light and humorous at times. Perhaps the author can get an editor onboard for future editions. Thanks for the review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Orope the white snake
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955 by C.A. Hartnell

Post by kdstrack » 13 Apr 2019, 15:13

I enjoyed your comments on this book. These are some difficult themes to face and also to write about. Looks like the author did a good job and won your approval (except for the editing!). Thanks for recommending this book.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: Crimson and Clover
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Smitty's Calling Card by B.R. Stateham

Post by Prisallen » 14 Apr 2019, 09:04

This started off seeming like it would be a very depressing book, but, after further reading your review, the author takes a sad subject and makes it less so. I hope the author fixes the errors in the book. It sounds like it could be an amazing book if he does. Thanks for your review!

Stephanie Elizabeth
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 14 Apr 2019, 14:51

This plot line sounds very interesting. At first glance, I thought it would be incredibly sad, but I am glad the book had some humor to lighten the heaviness of the topics.
Great review!

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 14 Apr 2019, 16:39

A fictional perception of heaven from the view of a child is interesting. I'm glad the storyline was well-written, and with humor given the serious topics. It's disappointing when a book isn't well edited. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”