Review by Kandykandace -- Illustrated Short Fiction of W...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kandykandace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandykandace.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by Kandykandace -- Illustrated Short Fiction of W...

Post by Kandykandace »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are a fan of the macabre, the twist ending and a story that will stay on your mind for days on end, causing you to feel psychologically disturbed, then this is the book for you!

I'm not saying the stories are not good. Quite the contrary actually. The writing is gripping yet simple. A couple of these stories brought tears to my eyes, made my stomach churn and even forced me to re-read them wondering if I had misread.

The author is obviously not afraid to shock and I was truly shocked at some of the heinous acts and experiences some of these characters have endured. Many times I expected a twist to change the tone of the story to one that said "...and it all worked out in the end..." But this was not to be.

My favourite story was "The Necklace". Though not void of sufficient character suffering, it seems that something of a happy ending did come out of sorrow.

In conclusion, I can see that this author is not about sugar-coating and he is bold in writing a more plausible and commonplace occurrence, even if we don't want to believe that these things happen to people everyday.

I would give this work a 3 out of 4. The stories were great but a little too dark for my taste. I would prefer to give a 3.5 if it were possible.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Kandykandace's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”