Review by maritzaalston -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
maritzaalston
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Review by maritzaalston -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by maritzaalston » 24 Mar 2019, 18:31

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift written by Charlie Sheldon. It was all hands on deck when Larry and Louise, owners of Sol Duc Towing Company, heard that the Seattle Express was on fire. Larry wanted to go on this rescue mission they needed the money to keep the business afloat. Louise was doubtful that the old Warhorse, a deep-sea salvage tug, would be able to undertake the trip. Larry knew that the Warhorse was not as fast but when the news came over the radio he saw it as an opportunity. If they hurried, they would have a head start over Buckhorn’s Corporation tugboats and the Canadian Coast Guard. Not knowing whether the ship was at the bottom of the Gulf of Alaska, Larry rounds up the crew, food and sets out to claim the Seattle Express.

All of the crew members escaped the fire and were able to get into two lifeboats. The lifeboats were separated by wind and pounding waves. It could be days before they were rescued. It was December the water was cold, rough and a dangerous time for the Seattle Express crew to be adrift on lifeboats.

One of the crew members, William, noticed and was familiar with the place that they had drifted to Haida Gwaii where he was born. William knew that the lifeboat was being pushed by the harsh winds towards treacherous rocks and uncharted territory.

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars the incredible story developed nicely and the characters were brought to life as the story progressed. The story is filled with action, heroic adventure, and breathless suspense. Adrift is a story of hope, survival and self-preservation. The story was organized intelligently and there was never a question as to what was going on regardless of all that was happening in the story. I absolutely loved that closure was provided for all the characters. There was no question to me of what happened to the characters.

What I liked most about this book was that the author really set the stage and provided great details about the ship and the crew members that were on-board. The author also provided many references that were specific to working on a ship, which was exceptionally nice. The author brings together family, friends and neighbors to help accomplish the overall goal. Altogether this was a remarkable story. It was brilliantly written, and I did not note or detect grammatical errors.

Being truthful there wasn’t a thing about this story that I did not enjoy reading. If I was to point out something it would be the role that the Bulkhorn Corporation employees played in the story. Perhaps elaborate a bit more but not so much that it would make the story drag.

I would recommend this to readers who enjoy reading all types of genre. It was a page turner and easy to read. Readers that enjoy reading action and adventure would truly enjoy this book. Readers that enjoy reading about ships, sailing, maritime would absolutely appreciate the book.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like maritzaalston's review? Post a comment saying so!

DottyC
2019 Reading Goal: 15
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dottyc.html
Latest Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Post by DottyC » 01 Apr 2019, 06:03

This is a really helpful review. I have read a sample of the book through the Book of the Day and felt the same as you about it being a page-turner. I have put this on my to-read list as it seems like an exciting book to escape to at the end of a long day when you don't want to think too hard. Thanks for the review!

Espie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: The eight steps to financial freedom by Dr BA Mabaso

Post by Espie » 20 May 2019, 21:05

Drifting aimlessly at sea or in reality does not have perfectly good connotations. Staying afloat and reaching destinations would be more ideal. Thank you for your interesting review of this well-loved piece.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nerea » 22 May 2019, 01:41

I really felt for the crew members. The bad weather and insufficient resources for their up-keep in the wilderness was quite life-threatening. And I agree with you that "Adrift is a story of hope, survival and self-preservation." I enjoyed reading the book too. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”