The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Taytay1211q
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Post by Taytay1211q »

Having not read any other works by John Green, I cannot compare to his other pieces. But compared to many other romance book, this is by far my favorite. The storyline is so real, that it touches the heart. I know for a fact im not the only one who bawled while reading this. It is a very heartfelt, sappy book. But in the best way. Nowadays all you ever see are these unrealistic romances, giving people false hopes. This just shows, it doesnt matter whats wrong witg you. The right person will love you through the flaws
Eponine

Post by Eponine »

This is one of my fave books!
aoboshi36
Currently Reading: To Kill a Mockingbird
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by aoboshi36 »

I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green sometime last year but the quote has stuck to my mind ever since. It has been recently adapted into a movie under the same title. Just so you know it, both book and movie title borrow their poetic, mysterious, romance-inflicted title from Shakespeare notes of conversation between Cassius and Brutus. It goes like this. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars. But in ourselves.". The same quote is then explored further in the eulogy letter of Augustus Waters for Hazel Grace Lancaster shortly before his existence simply vanished.

To cut it short, it's mostly a tear-jerking teen-romance stuff. Generally, I'm not into this kind of book. But then the title (and the whole poetic quotes) actually did invokes me to find out. So here I am, jotting down my take on the short love story. Yup, it is only 77 pages as far as my count. In some parts, the story feels somewhat slow and dragging though (or perhaps it's just me).

The best part? While I'm certainly not in those ages anymore, the witty and ridiculously sweet talk between Hazel and Augustus (the main characters) gave a refreshing feeling. To some extent, it is neither as cheesy as typical teen romance. Nor it feels too mature or adult like. Personally, I prefer the word bitter-sweet for it. As for the too good to be true bits, TFIOS got its share. One is the wish-granting organization, or some sort of it, called Genies (not sure if this is correct though).

Next best part will be the eulogy letter for Hazel which Augustus wrote down during his last days. They are simply beautiful, touching, encouraging, and superbly romantic. In fact, it is more like a disguised, quotable, sugar-coated love letter. It says a lot, means a lot, and gives a lot. Then again, it may just be perfect for the teen couples these days which will obviously needs a five or ten-minute break down to tears session by the end of book/movie.

I personally will consider TFIOS more of a short sad love story with less tragic culminating moments. For good, the entire Augustus leaving the world behind turns out rather flat as compared to his eulogy letter for Hazel.

Anyway, it's a nice treat if you are taking a short break from work or just needs something to occupy your mind in the airport lounge.
Shavawn_

Post by Shavawn_ »

This book was lent to me by a friend that has a decent collection of John Green books. I consider myself an avid reader and knew that with that title means reading books that are considered popular, even if it's popularity was a few years ago.
This was my first John Green book and I was disappointed. There was so much hype from my friends (and the rest of the country) about this being a great book and John Green being a great writer. But like I said, I was disappointed in the cliche`s and the basic dialogue. The idea of an unusually attractive girl wanting to be with the quirky guy felt over played. And although I recognize this is a young adult book, it truly felt like they were children attempting to be adults. Overall I was disappointed. The story felt rushed. There was very little character development.I was left looking for more in every aspect of the book.
ReadManiac
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readmaniac.html

Post by ReadManiac »

The Fault In our Stars was amazeballs!! Let's just take a moment to honor such a brilliant piece of writing. It was well written and was overall inspirational. Not only did it deal with real life struggles of many people,but it showed the value in life and the meaning behind it. The love in the book was heartwarming and the book itself brought me to tears. I recommend this to anyone who is a hopeless romantic,who loves to read that inspiring books.
Alibomber4
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Alibomber4 »

I absolutely loved this book! I would smile on one page and tear up on the next. Hazel and Augustus are going through the thing, battling/battled cancer and at first form a bond from that. From there, their love grows and blossoms into something beautiful! I have never been on an emotional rollercoaster while reading a book. I've been sad or happy with other books, but have never actually cried or laughed. John Green is an amazing author and this book should be read by everyone and anyone.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Amazing book, one of my favorites by John Green. I absolutely love the use of the allusion from Julius Caesar in the book title.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Alena_Surya »

I love the book and the movie! Made me cry! The chemistry of Hazel and Gus is amazing!
Megan01
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan01.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Megan01 »

I really loved reading this book. It's not the typical romantic story that is depicted in most romance books, and not only because TFIOS talks about cancer too. I deeply felt the connection between the characters and I like that the language used here isn't how the teenagers generally speak. I mean, it's more profound, well written, like the words really mean /something/, they have power. The author put a lot of thought into every word. It's not just an average teenage dialogue nor an average young adult novel.

I love Augustus, by the way. It's been some time since I read TFIOS but I remember it made me tear up a bit — and also laugh.
madysontrodh
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by madysontrodh »

I had bought this book when it was first becoming popular and it is still a book I read to this day! Every time I read it I tear up, and I consider John Green to be one of my favourite authors.
forever_a_mad_hatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by forever_a_mad_hatter »

I'd first read The Fault In Our Stars as a recommendation by a friend. Because I don't typically read romance book, I wasn't too sure a out it. But John Green surprised me with how well he did. I fell in love with Hazel and Augustus and felt the love they shared for one another. I was drawn in by the spirit of Hazel and kept there by her witty remarks and Augustus's flirty attitude, as well as the fact that, even though they both have cancer, they're all relatable.

John Green did a brilliant job as a whole, and even though the story has a depressing undertone to it, there is still humor and fun and the things that teenagers love.

Even though The Fault In Our Stars didn't have a stereotypical, cliche "happy ending" with Hazel magically getting cured of her cancer and Augustus staying healthy, the ending was good. It wasn't an unrealistic fairy tail ending; it was realistic but still provided closure. Readers may still have questions, but that always happens when a story ends. John Green gave readers exactly what was needed, and The Fault In Our Stars remains one of my favorite books.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Nice review! I haven't read this book yet, but am adding it to my TBR shelf. Dealing with cancer can be very difficult, and taking it in from a teenager's perspective will be very interesting.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
wrini

Post by wrini »

watching the movie brought life and sorrows on me, but leaving strong message in my ,in my mind, o I so much love this
littlenora

Post by littlenora »

The love between Augustus and Hazel is written in the final stages of their illness. Really, reading through the pages I was afraid that either of them would suddenly die. There are pages imbued with pain, I can't stop wishing them to try to get through the deadly pain. I can't count how many times have I prayed for Hazel to overcome the torture of her weak lungs, the little girl dependent on her familiar ventilator, having only one cure over the years.

I imagine Augustus as a handsome, enthusiastic guy They eat together, watch the stars, share together and be strong together. In me, I always wish for miracles to come, to repel the illness or at least not to be more serious so that they live forever together without leaving but what will come even if I try hard screaming and crying. An unexpected ending to me, Gus passed away in grief and regret. There was a tearful silence in my heart when I read the pages of Gus's funerals, and Hazel - the person he loved visited with his friends.

I laugh the most when I read the pages where Hazel and Gus are together. After all, I think the last thing still kept is the hope. Gus's death caused her pain ten thousand times, the pain that persisted and deepened than the pain in her lungs. However, her love for Gus is the most beautiful in this life, an unlucky girl with sickness seems to be extremely happy in love and she believes that, Gus also loves her with all of his heart. Gus's gift to the girl he loved was a letter written by Van Houten. With the imperceptible style of language, each letter leaves many distinct emotions, each character's words and words touch the reader's heart.
Shrashti_04
Favorite Book: Finding James
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Shrashti_04 »

I had already read this book before and this book is one of my favorite books.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”