The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
altairslover
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-altairslover.html

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Post by altairslover »

The Fault in Our Stars is a story about a sixteen year old girl named Hazel. Hazel has thyroid cancer with a satellite in her lungs which make it difficult for her to breath and require the constant use of a nasal cannula attached to an oxygen tank. She attends a support group for people with cancer. At this support group Hazel meets a boy named Augustus. Her cancer is neither growing nor in remission thanks to an experimental drug called Phalaxnifor. This is all I can say about the book without giving away anything.

The Fault in Our Stars is an unique book in so many ways. You feel like you have a personal connection with the characters. Almost as if you knew them in real life. You know their stories, their triumphs and defeats, their battles. All of the main characters in this book have either battled cancer, are battling it, or has a child who is/has battled it. Most people know someone who has cancer, or knows someone who knows someone. However this book gives you a rare glimpse into what life is like with cancer, from the patients point of view.

I have never read a book so well written that it can make me laugh hysterically one moment, then make me tear up the next. Possibly the best book that I have ever read. I would recommend this book to anyone who wishes 313 pages of pure epicosity ( yes I know it's not a word).

5 Stars

"I'm on a roller coaster ride that only goes up" - Augustus Waters.

"The Fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves." - Cassius - Julius Cesar

DFTBA
willowrose

Post by willowrose »

I'm reading this book right now! :) I'm on chapter 5. I agree with the review you gave so far. I haven't necessarily experienced the hysterical laughs or the tearing up, but I'm expecting it, especially the tearing up part (I'm suspecting Isaac won't have that great of a turn out, but I'm yet to get that far).

What I really hate is when I open a book to check what chapter I'm on and end up reading a few words in some random paragraph on a page way further into the story that I just so happen to get a glance at as I'm checking what chapter I'm on. ;p I just did that, obviously, and saw the word- erm well, an intriguing word that is probably setting up an intriguing dilemma.

I have seen something about John Green complaining that this book has been banned already from at least one school districts list for it's sexual content. That's pretty much what I got from his complaint (and it might also explain the word I just saw).

But anyway I'm super enjoying this book so far and can't wait to get further into it!!

-- 25 Mar 2012, 22:45 --

Okay. I'm done! And what I will say is, although the book wasn't totally perfect for me, I ended up crying toward the end. It was more a feeling that the story caused than a feeling for the story itself, but I'm pretty sure it's safe to say it's a tear drippin' good time!

I recommend it. If I didn't have to take it back to the library I'd try getting the rest of my family to read it. The cancer thing is a bit of a wake up call. And I enjoyed how there were plenty of different elements that came together nicely in the end.
sammonroy

Post by sammonroy »

loved this book! you might also want to read paper towns by john green and looking for alaska.
becdabec

Post by becdabec »

This is one of my favorite books. I love John Green's writing style and the way his stories make you really take a look at your life and think about things. The relationship between Hazel and Augustus is just so real and heart wrenching it's amazing the depth and feeling put into this. Honestly, everyone should read this book! It's amazing.
Nedra15

Post by Nedra15 »

I loved TFIOS. This was my first book by John green and I really enjoyed the way he wrote Hazel. I like the way he showed Hazels personality as a teenage girl. Or, Maybe I just liked Hazels character. But, reading parts with Hazels thoughts about Augustus and their relationship I remember thinking wow he's good hes got this teenage girl down to a T lol.
daniellekuzel

Post by daniellekuzel »

becdabec wrote:This is one of my favorite books. I love John Green's writing style and the way his stories make you really take a look at your life and think about things. The relationship between Hazel and Augustus is just so real and heart wrenching it's amazing the depth and feeling put into this. Honestly, everyone should read this book! It's amazing.
-pbf
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pbf.html

Post by -pbf »

I agree that it's an amazing book. Green doesn't make Hazel and Augustus sound like teenagers, but I believe he did this on purpose. The language they use is profound and packs more of a punch than the average teenage dialogue would. It's so beautiful I didn't mind that it made me cry. I'd recommend it to anyone.
bsaples89

Post by bsaples89 »

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is an AMAZING book! It is about a teenage girl with cancer. The book has romance and comedy which makes it very entertaining. John Green is a phenomenal writer. I think that you should try to pick up this book and give it a try. The Falut in Our Stars is also very sad but touching. You can buy it at amazon or at a bookstore. If you like this book you might want to check out Paper Towns or Looking For Alaska also by John Green
kendra53

Post by kendra53 »

Such an amazing book!! love it so much!!
Thegusyoung
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegusyoung.html

Post by Thegusyoung »

If you enjoyed this book, you will love literally every other work by John Green. He is probably one of my favorite authors of all time. His plot structures are simple, yet hit home with a wide range of people. TFiOS wasn't just a cliched teenage cancer novel, with the same old story and same old character struggles. Mr. Green allowed you to see into the souls of Hazel and let you fall in love with every aspect of her personality. For the longest time I considered this book my " An Imperial Affliction" because I had such a personal connection with it, it seemed a disrespect to share it with anyone. I eventually allowed my self to share it with my girlfriend (who's contact name in my phone is still "Hazel Grace"), when she texted me that she was crying at the end, I knew I had made a good choice. (My name is actually Gus, btw) I would recommend this to anyone who loves being abke to fall un love with characters immediately and will enjoy laughing and crying along with them as the story progresses.
arayhenson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arayhenson.html

Post by arayhenson »

I enjoyed this book to a very high extent. However, it isn't my favorite work of John's. He creates such a masterpiece with each story he tells, and for me TFIOS was very emotional and great like everything else he's written, I simply just didn't connect with the characters in the story as much as I did in every other piece I've read.
Chey_nicole
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chey-nicole.html
Latest Review: "A Good Boy" by Anthony Andre

Post by Chey_nicole »

"The Fault in Our Stars" was a very moving book. It is one of the most emotional books I have ever read. At the beginning I was so excited to see how Augustus and Hazel's relationship would form. I loved how Augustus was willing to give up everything for her, including his wish. He may not have known her as well as he could have, but he did his best. He loved her. The fact that they both had diseases really made this story emotional. I don't think many understand the depths of the situation unless you've been in it. But, still, we all had sympathy for them. Augustus and Hazels love was one of the most passionate love stories I have read. I, and many others, were very affected by Augustus's death. It happened very quickly. The best part in the story was the letter. You never truly knew how Augustus felt until the end. The letter was deep and emotional. It told every feeling Augustus had. It ranted, but it said so many things that changed many peoples perspectives. All in all, this was a wonderful book. I recommend it to everyone. It is heartfelt. I hope you all enjoy it someday.
Latest Review: "A Good Boy" by Anthony Andre
Kalamazoo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalamazoo.html

Post by Kalamazoo »

Hi Nicole,

I loved The Fault in Our Stars. It is, by far, one of my favorite books ever. There were so many special things about the book. The characters and the way they interacted were amazing. The fact that the author was so adept at finding humor in absurdity (The comments about "The Literal Heart" made me laugh every time.) and after reading the book, I really wanted a copy of the fictional Peter Van Hauton's book, "An Imperial Affliction."
Smitha Nayak

Post by Smitha Nayak »

The Fault in Our Stars is the fourth solo novel by author John Green, published in January 2012. The story is narrated by a sixteen-year-old cancer patient named Hazel, who is forced by her parents to attend a support group, where she subsequently meets and falls in love with the seventeen-year-old Augustus Waters, an ex-basketball player and amputee.

On his Tumblr blog and his YouTube blog, Green stated that "the title is inspired by a famous line from Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar (Act 1, scene 2). The nobleman Cassius says to Brutus, 'The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings.'"

In January 2012, the film rights to the book were optioned by Fox 2000,[1] and on February 19, 2013, it was announced that Josh Boone would be directing the film. It is set to star Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort and Nat Wolff.

-- 29 Oct 2013, 03:52 --

When you hear someone begin to describe a funny book about teenagers who have cancer, your initial reaction might be something along the lines of that does not sound particularly amusing, to put it mildly.

But it is funny. It is funny, and it is thought provoking, and it is uplifting, and it is also sad – it resides in a place where all of those feelings intersect, and it’s a terrific place for a book to be. And the book in question, “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green, will give anyone – writer or reader alike – who has ever doubted the power of teen literature something to think hard about. This may be a book for young people and about young people, but it is mostly a book about life, on the most profound possible scale.
saiah

Post by saiah »

I'm really surprised that only a few people are talking about this. It's a wonderful book-- highly recommended. You put young love and cancer (for both of them) in one book and you're gonna think it's corny or too dramatic, but this book is not. It's about how you meet the right person at the wrong time. It's cliche but the book makes it alright. And thus the title, "The Fault in Our Stars". It wasn't their fault they met when they both had cancer; it was written in their stars. And sometimes, we just can't control what destiny has to offer.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”